wxpython on pypy: possilbe

franz steinhaeusler
Hello, just out of curiosity, I installed Pypy (on windows) and I don't know, how to install wxPython for that.

I called pypy
(I added: sys.path.append("/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode")

import wx
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    from wx._core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module>
    import _core_
ImportError: No module named _core_

Is this possible at all? Has someone tried (und succeeded) installing wxPython for Pypy?

Re: wxpython on pypy: possilbe

Mike Driscoll

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 4:50:43 PM UTC-5, Ryan Mann wrote:
Open the Command prompt on Windows.  Type pip install wxpython and press Enter.
That's how I did it.

Tried it with both the Python 2.7 and 3.5 versions on XUbuntu 16.04. It doesn't work. For 3.5, pip says it is collecting wxPython and then kills itself. For 2.7, I get a build failed error.

Mike

Re: wxpython on pypy: possilbe

GadgetSteve

On 20/04/2017 19:53, Mike Driscoll wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 4:50:43 PM UTC-5, Ryan Mann wrote:
>
>     Open the Command prompt on Windows.  Type pip install wxpython and
>     press Enter.
>     That's how I did it.
>>

> Tried it with both the Python 2.7 and 3.5 versions on XUbuntu 16.04. It
> doesn't work. For 3.5, pip says it is collecting wxPython and then kills
> itself. For 2.7, I get a build failed error.
>
> Mike

Mike,

It is worth reading the pre-requisites section of
https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/blob/master/README.rst or the same
link includes detailed instructions for building from the source.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

Re: wxpython on pypy: possilbe

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
Folks:

WxPython does not work with PyPy -- it makes very heavy use of the cPython C API. No cPython extension  code is ever going to work wit PyPy without a lot of extra work.

OK, maybe not never:

"PyPy has alpha/beta-level support for the CPython C API"

But it's a long way from "just working" for a library as complex as wxPython.

-CHB

[...]

Thanks for clarification.

I think, pypy is an amazing idea, python mostly written in python (or this reduced RPython).
Long time ago, I compared a longer calculation, and I didn'r believed it, Pypy war by far faster than (normal) CPython.