wxPython3.* for Python3

12

wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
I checked the gmane-archive but couldn't find a fresh answer to it.

wxPython3 is out - great!
But does it support python3?

The howto-install-wiki-page tell only about python2.8.

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

Jojo Maquiling
Nope.

http://wxpython.org/download.php#msw

You dont see python 3 in there.. In fact python 2.8 is not included in downloadables.

We'll just wait then :).

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I checked the gmane-archive but couldn't find a fresh answer to it.

wxPython3 is out - great!
But does it support python3?

The howto-install-wiki-page tell only about python2.8.

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

werner-3

On 2/1/2015 12:16, [hidden email] wrote:
> I checked the gmane-archive but couldn't find a fresh answer to it.
>
> wxPython3 is out - great!
> But does it support python3?
>
> The howto-install-wiki-page tell only about python2.8.
The wxPhython Phoenix version does support Python 3, but it is still in
development.

Snapshot builds are available here:
http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/
http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/README.txt
http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/main.html

Werner

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
On 2015-02-02 08:14 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Snapshot builds are available here:
> http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/

Only for Win and Mac.
I can not see a source-tarball anywhere.

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

Mike Driscoll

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 8:15:02 AM UTC-6, [hidden email] wrote:
On 2015-02-02 08:14 Werner <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5KAsHKmrSiIJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">wern...@...> wrote:
> Snapshot builds are available here:

Only for Win and Mac.
I can not see a source-tarball anywhere.

There are a bunch of tar.gz files in there. For example, the very first item listed after the README: http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3.dev1540.b25595d.tar.gz

 You can also install a *.whl file on any platform if you have the latest version of pip.

- Mike

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
Dear Mike, please don't CC the mails you post to the list.

On 2015-02-02 06:21 Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are a bunch of tar.gz files in there. For example, the very
> first item listed after the README:
> http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3.dev1540.b25595d.tar.gz

Ah I see. The build-bot should think about the nameing conventions. ;)

>  You can also install a *.whl file on any platform if you have the
> latest version of pip.

Sorry, I don't understand this. There are whl-files for win and mac.
Why should they work on other plattforms? And If a whl would be
platform independent it would be enough to upload only one whl and not
for each platform.
I am quite new to Python and use apt-get to manage the packages - not
easy-install or pip. Maybe I misunderstand something.

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

werner-3
Hi,

On 2/2/2015 15:39, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear Mike, please don't CC the mails you post to the list.
>
> On 2015-02-02 06:21 Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are a bunch of tar.gz files in there. For example, the very
>> first item listed after the README:
>> http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3.dev1540.b25595d.tar.gz
> Ah I see. The build-bot should think about the nameing conventions. ;)
The 'build-bot' is work in progress too:), i.e. I think the above is the
first build based off the Phoenix git repo instead of the SVN, and
something is not quit working yet.  Robin just changed things over the
last couple of days, so we just need to be patient until he gets things
settled.

>>   You can also install a *.whl file on any platform if you have the
>> latest version of pip.
> Sorry, I don't understand this. There are whl-files for win and mac.
> Why should they work on other plattforms? And If a whl would be
> platform independent it would be enough to upload only one whl and not
> for each platform.
A whl is platform independent only if it is Python only code, as
wxPython contains wxWidgets C++ there has to be a whl per platfrom.

pip will try to get the correct one for your Python version/OS platform,
but if the latest build does not contain a match for your platform it
fails, in which case you should use the instruction in the readme to get
a specific version.
> I am quite new to Python and use apt-get to manage the packages - not
> easy-install or pip. Maybe I misunderstand something.
No *nix user so take this with a grain of salt.  To use 'apt-get' or
similar wxPython-Phoenix would need to be in one of the supported repos,
I don't think anyone stepped forward to do the necessary work.

I think if you use 'apt-get' to get pip and then use pip to install
wxPython-Phoenix it does all the *nix build stuff for you - I am pretty
sure that is what I did when I gave it a quick try on my Mint 17 install.

Werner

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

Florian Höch
Am 02.02.2015 um 04:35 schrieb Jojo Maquiling:
> In fact python 2.8 is not included in downloadables.

I think the reason for that is the Python 2.8 release schedule ;)

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0404/

Florian.

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

Mike Driscoll

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 10:59:25 AM UTC-6, Jojo Maquiling wrote:
Nope.

You dont see python 3 in there.. In fact python 2.8 is not included in downloadables.

We'll just wait then :).

As Werner already pointed out, the Python 3 builds are here: http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/

Note that they are for the Phoenix version of wxPython only.

There is no such thing as Python 2.8 currently.

Mike

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
On 2015-02-02 16:16 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A whl is platform independent only if it is Python only code, as
> wxPython contains wxWidgets C++ there has to be a whl per platfrom.
>
> pip will try to get the correct one for your Python version/OS

Where does pip get it from? Does the whl-file (an archive?) contain the
wxWidgets-C++ code, or does pip use a internet-source? In the last case
it could just get the *nix-code for wxWidgets and I see no problem. ;)

How can pip help me if there is no *nix-whl file for it?

Doesn*t pip use a repository from somewhere?

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
On 2015-02-02 16:16 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> pip will try to get the correct one for your Python version/OS
> platform, but if the latest build does not contain a match for your
> platform it fails, in which case you should use the instruction in
> the readme to get a specific version.

I couldn't find something in the readme-file about how to
"build/install" phoenix for *nix with a win/mac-whl file.

> I think if you use 'apt-get' to get pip and then use pip to install
> wxPython-Phoenix it does all the *nix build stuff for you - I am
> pretty sure that is what I did when I gave it a quick try on my Mint
> 17 install.

I tried it with pip and of course it failed. :)

[bash]
user@MONSTER:~/Downloads$ pip3 install wxPython*.whl
wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3.dev78425-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl is not
a supported wheel on this platform. Storing debug log for failure
in /home/user/.pip/pip.log
[/bash]

I think I will wait some days and try to checkout again from the
trunk.

btw: Where can I find the current sources? On git or svn?

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:04 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I couldn't find something in the readme-file about how to
"build/install" phoenix for *nix with a win/mac-whl file.

In short -- you can't. A wheel file is compiled, platform specific code. (unless it's a pure python package, but that's not the issue here)

There are so many varieties of Linux out there that it is essentially impossible to build a wheel for them.

You'll need to build from source -- grab the tarball for that.

-Chris

> I think if you use 'apt-get' to get pip and then use pip to install
> wxPython-Phoenix it does all the *nix build stuff for you - I am
> pretty sure that is what I did when I gave it a quick try on my Mint
> 17 install.

I tried it with pip and of course it failed. :)

[bash]
user@MONSTER:~/Downloads$ pip3 install wxPython*.whl
wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3.dev78425-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl is not
a supported wheel on this platform. Storing debug log for failure
in /home/user/.pip/pip.log
[/bash]

I think I will wait some days and try to checkout again from the
trunk.

btw: Where can I find the current sources? On git or svn?

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

werner-3

On 2/2/2015 23:04, [hidden email] wrote:

> btw: Where can I find the current sources? On git or svn?
The master for wxWidgets is in SVN they are mirrored to git,
wxPython-Phoenix is the first repo where the master is on git.  I don't
know what is the time table but the goal is that everything moves to git.

So, you can get it all from git:
See this commit for the repo's Robin uses for the buildbot:
https://github.com/RobinD42/Phoenix/commit/bee0790eabe122ce8a8f7f695d2eaa642d1f7e27

Werner

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

werner-3

On 2/2/2015 23:04, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 2015-02-02 16:16 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> pip will try to get the correct one for your Python version/OS
>> platform, but if the latest build does not contain a match for your
>> platform it fails, in which case you should use the instruction in
>> the readme to get a specific version.
> I couldn't find something in the readme-file about how to
> "build/install" phoenix for *nix with a win/mac-whl file.
>
>> I think if you use 'apt-get' to get pip and then use pip to install
>> wxPython-Phoenix it does all the *nix build stuff for you - I am
>> pretty sure that is what I did when I gave it a quick try on my Mint
>> 17 install.
> I tried it with pip and of course it failed. :)
I looked through my notes and when I had installed it in Mint 17 I did this:

dev essentials:
sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev build-essential python2.7-dev
sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-dev
sudo apt-get install libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
sudo apt-get install freeglut3 freeglut3-dev

pip install -U --pre -f http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/
wxPython_Phoenix

I can't remember, but I guess this gets the 'tar.gz' and then does the
build.

Werner

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
On 2015-02-03 12:29 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev build-essential python2.7-dev
> pip install -U --pre -f http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/
> wxPython_Phoenix

Thanks for that description. But it is for Python2 - I need Python3
that is the difficult point.

I don't unterstand why I should build Phoenix for Python2?

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

werner-3
On 2/3/2015 16:36, [hidden email] wrote:
> On 2015-02-03 12:29 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev build-essential python2.7-dev
Replace '2.7' with your Py3 version, for Phoenix at least 3.3, the other
stuff is I believe not Python specific but C++ stuff.
>> pip install -U --pre -f http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/
>> wxPython_Phoenix
> Thanks for that description. But it is for Python2 - I need Python3
> that is the difficult point.
>
> I don't unterstand why I should build Phoenix for Python2?
Why not, Phoenix will at some point replace wxPython-classic and will be
available for Py2.7+ and Py3.3+.

Moving an application from classic to Phoenix is easier to do on Py2.7
and then move to Py3 - at least in my experience/view:).

Werner

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
> Thanks for that description. But it is for Python2 - I need Python3
> that is the difficult point.

It should be very similar, except the python version.

> I don't unterstand why I should build Phoenix for Python2?

Phoenix is new/different/better wrappers -- it is not just wxPython for py3.

If you want to maintain a code base for py2 and py3, you'd want
Phoenix for both.

-Chris

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
On 2015-02-03 17:01 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why not, Phoenix will at some point replace wxPython-classic and will
> be available for Py2.7+ and Py3.3+.

Ähm.. Ok, then I missunderstand Phoenix.
I understood it as a "development branch" of wxPython to make it run
with Python3, too. Thats all. :)

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
On 2015-02-03 12:29 Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> pip install -U --pre -f http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/
> wxPython_Phoenix

Ok, but please keep in mind that I use pip3 for that. I cut out
something of the build-output here. And I have some questions about it,
of course.

First of all: How can I check fast and easy in a
python3-interactive-shell which version of wx/phoenix is running now?
Where does the builded lib-files go?

Sideinfo: I tried such a build on a different machine last night and
postet the output to the wxPython-dev list. There was the problem that
wxWidgets couldn't be build.
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.wxpython.devel/6288>
I don't understand why it works now?

Does it use wxWidgets2.8("wxWidgets compatibility should be enabled?
wxWidgets 2.8 yes") or wxWidgets3("Configured wxWidgets 3.0.3")? Both
of them are in this output.

[bash]
user@TONNE:~/Downloads$ pip3 install -U --pre -f
http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/ wxPython_Phoenix

Downloading/unpacking wxPython-Phoenix

http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/snapshot-builds/ uses an insecure transport
scheme (http). Consider using https if wxpython.org has it available
Downloading wxPython_Phoenix-3.0.3.dev1548.5774184.tar.gz (40.2MB):
40.2MB downloaded Running setup.py
(path:/tmp/pip_build_user/wxPython-Phoenix/setup.py) egg_info for
package wxPython-Phoenix warning: no previously-included files matching
'.svn' found under directory 'wx' warning: no previously-included files
matching '.git' found under directory 'wx' warning: no
previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found under directory 'wx'
warning: no previously-included files matching '__pycache__' found
under directory 'wx' Installing collected packages: wxPython-Phoenix
Running setup.py install for wxPython-Phoenix Build using:
"/usr/bin/python3" 3.4.0 (default, Apr 11 2014, 13:05:18) [GCC 4.8.2]
Python's architecture is 32bit cfg.VERSION: 3.0.3.dev1548.5774184

    Running command: build
    Running command: build_wx
    wxWidgets build options: ['--wxpython', '--unicode']
    Configure options: ['--enable-unicode', '--with-opengl',
'--enable-sound', '--enable-graphics_ctx', '--enable-mediactrl',
'--enable-display', '--enable-geometry', '--enable-debug_flag',
'--enable-optimise', '--disable-debugreport', '--enable-uiactionsim',
'--with-sdl'] /tmp/pip_build_user/wxPython-Phoenix/ext/wxWidgets/configure
--enable-unicode --with-opengl --enable-sound --enable-graphics_ctx
--enable-mediactrl --enable-display --enable-geometry
--enable-debug_flag --enable-optimise --disable-debugreport
--enable-uiactionsim --with-sdl checking build system type...
i686-pc-linux-gnu checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

..CUT....CUT....CUT..

    config.status: executing wx-config commands

    Configured wxWidgets 3.0.3 for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'

      Which GUI toolkit should wxWidgets use?                 GTK+ 2
    with support for GTK+ printing libnotify Should wxWidgets be
    compiled into single library?       no Should wxWidgets be linked
    as a shared library?         yes Should wxWidgets support
    Unicode?                       yes (using wchar_t) What level of
    wxWidgets compatibility should be enabled? wxWidgets 2.6      no
                                           wxWidgets 2.8      yes
      Which libraries should wxWidgets use?
                                           STL                no
                                           jpeg               sys
                                           png                sys
                                           regex              builtin
                                           tiff               sys
                                           zlib               sys
                                           expat              sys
                                           libmspack          no
                                           sdl                yes

    /usr/bin/make
    make --jobs=2
    /tmp/pip_build_user/wxPython-Phoenix/build/wxbld/bk-deps gcc -c -o
    wxregex_regcomp.o -DNDEBUG -D__WXGTK__  -fPIC -DPIC
    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
    -I/tmp/pip_build_user/wxPython-Phoenix/build/wxbld/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-3.0
    -I/tmp/pip_build_user/wxPython-Phoenix/ext/wxWidgets/include
    -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0
    -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
    -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0
    -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/
    -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
    -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1
    -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -pthread
    -I/usr/include/gstreamer-0.10 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
    -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libxml2
    -pthread -I/usr/include/webkitgtk-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
    -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0
    -I/usr/include/libsoup-2.4
    -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
    -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0
    -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/
    -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/pixman-1
    -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz
    -I/usr/include/libxml2 -pthread -Wall -Wundef -O2
    -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-unix-print-2.0
    -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo
    -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0
    -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include
    -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/freetype2
    -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
    -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libpng12
    -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1
    -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
    -fvisibility=hidden /tmp/pip_build_user/wxPython-Phoenix/ext/wxWidgets/src/regex/regcomp.c
[/bash]

Re: wxPython3.* for Python3

moonkid
I don't really know what was going on and what was the difference to
the other machine. But...

[python-shell]
>>> import wx
>>> wx.version()
'3.0.3.dev1548.5774184 gtk2 (phoenix)'
>>> import sys
>>> sys.version
'3.4.0 (default, Apr 11 2014, 13:05:18) \n[GCC 4.8.2]'
[/python-shell]

YES!

12