[wxPython] wxWindows/GTK+/HPUX platform

Boulay,Patrick,PARIS
Has ne1 ever succeeded using wxPython on wxWindows/GTK+/HPUX platform ...
thank you for sending me your comments and problems encountered
Patrick

Re: [wxPython] wxWindows/GTK+/HPUX platform

Robin Dunn
> Has ne1 ever succeeded using wxPython on wxWindows/GTK+/HPUX platform ...
> thank you for sending me your comments and problems encountered

Have you tried it yet?  Please tell us your experiences and any problems you
run into so we can help.

Re: [wxPython] wxWindows/GTK+/HPUX platform

Robin Dunn
> > Has ne1 ever succeeded using wxPython on wxWindows/GTK+/HPUX platform ...
> > thank you for sending me your comments and problems encountered
>
> Have you tried it yet?  Please tell us your experiences and any problems
you
> run into so we can help.

Here's some info on building wxGTK on HPUX.  There were some followup
messages as well.  You can find them on www.egroups.com.

Hi all,

First of all thanks to everybody who has contributed to the wxWindows
projects.
We use it already for some time now on MSW and a bit shorter on Linux.
Before
we rewrite some older applications we also need to have wxwindows
available on
some other workstations.

This message reports how we managed to get wxGTK running on our HP
computer.
We hope that the following comments may be usefull for other users. Our
approach
was fairly pragmatical: just tried to adapt the configure file,
makefiles and
code to get it working. It may be that others have better solutions.
Please
let us know.

machine: HP J5000
OS:      HP-UX 10.20
Compilers: aCC and cc (for C++ and C), aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.01.21
wxGTK:   2.1.13
gtk+:    1.2.7
make:    gnu make

configure command:
./configure --disable-shared --without-motif --with-gtk
--with-debug_flag --with-debug_info --enable-debug --without-sockets
--without-odbc --without-threads --enable-newgrid

First set the environment symbols:

setenv CCC aCC
setenv CC cc
setenv CFLAGS -Ae

Using g++ and gcc instead, configure immediately failed because it could
not
recognise the machine and OS.
Using aCC also as C-compiler, you will need to do a lot of type-casting
in the
code. Without CFLAGS -Ae, it will not recognise some less ancient C.

In the configure file the program to determine the major/minor release
version
of gtk+ failed, because of the 'exit()' statement. Apparently the
prototype
for this function is in 'stdlib.h' and we added this to the configure
file.

With this change configure worked. Using gnu-make the compilation
process started.
Since there where an enormous amount of warnings, we decided to add the
option
-w to the CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS in src/make.env .

In the file common/string.cpp it appeared that function 'vsnprintf' was
not
defined although it was found by configure. At line 137 the same
addition was
made as for _AIX:

extern "C" int vsnprintf(char* str, size_t n, const char* format,
va_list ap);

Now all files compiled fine. During subsequent installation the option
'-d'
on the install command was not recognised and all directories had to be
made
manually.

Next the demos were tried:

In wxpoem, the file wxpoem.h was not in the distribution.
In life, the class definition in file game.h at line 53 was refused. It
is
still not clear to us what could be the reason for this.

In the samples a number of files contained enumerations, where the last
item was followed by a comma. aCC did not like that. The files are
caret/caret.cpp      line 131
help/demo.cpp        line 105
html/about/about.cpp line 77
html/test/test.cpp   line 78

In drawing, the file pat4.bmp and some others were missing.
In grid, the file that should be called grid.cpp was called test.cpp.
In html/test the file i18n.gif was missing.
In internat, the file fr/internat.mo was missing.

The samples and demos that compiled and linked after all, did also
work correctly (as far as we have seen).

Ton van den Boogaard                   Herman van Corbach

A.H. van den Boogaard
University of Twente
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE  Enschede
The Netherlands

phone: +31 53 489 4785
fax:   +31 53 489 3900
email: [hidden email]

Please sent attachments in ascii or html. Do not assume that I have
the latest version of Word or any other program.