[wxPython] wxPython tutorial in new O'Reilly book

[wxPython] wxPython tutorial in new O'Reilly book

Hugues Talbot

        Hello all,

        Robin wrote on his wxPython home page somewhere that
he had contributed part of a chapter to a `python on windows'
O'Reilly book.
        Well I've seen the book and there is indeed a 20-page
wxPython tutorial in `Python Programming on Win32'. I haven't
seen Robin's name mentioned but I only had a quick look in the
bookstore.

        So now I think many people would be interested in this
tutorial. I'm personally not interested in win32 very much,
so I don't plan to buy this US$35 book, at least not for these
20 pages.
        Did Robin actually write these pages? is there an online
version somewhere?

        Has someone actually read this section carefully, what
do they think?

  ___Hugues Talbot, CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences___
 /            Down under, Locked Bag 17, North Ryde  NSW  2113  \
|    ,-_|\                Ph: 61 2 9325 3224 Fax: 61 2 9325 3200 |
|   /     \               (Building E6B, Macquarie University)   |
|   \_,-._* <- There      E-mail: [hidden email]    |
|        ,                WWW: http://www.dms.csiro.au/~talbot   |
+- Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software -+

Re: [wxPython] wxPython tutorial in new O'Reilly book

Robin Dunn

> Robin wrote on his wxPython home page somewhere that
> he had contributed part of a chapter to a `python on windows'
> O'Reilly book.
> Well I've seen the book and there is indeed a 20-page
> wxPython tutorial in `Python Programming on Win32'. I haven't
> seen Robin's name mentioned but I only had a quick look in the
> bookstore.

I'm mentioned at the begining of the chapter.

> So now I think many people would be interested in this
> tutorial. I'm personally not interested in win32 very much,
> so I don't plan to buy this US$35 book, at least not for these
> 20 pages.
> Did Robin actually write these pages?

Yes, though O'Reily chopped bits here and there.

> is there an online
> version somewhere?

The tutorial on the wxPython site is almost the same as about the first 1/3
of the content in the book.  I was told that there would be copyright issues
(O'Reily owns it, not me and not Mark and Andy) if I posted it so I didn't
dare do any more than that.

> Has someone actually read this section carefully, what
> do they think?

Well, I have but I may be a bit biased...

It was written July - September 1999 so some things are slightly out of date
but all in all I think it is a good introduction for anybody new to wxPython.

Re: [wxPython] wxPython tutorial in new O'Reilly book

Gerrit Holl-3
<quote name="Robin Dunn" date="951377758">
> > Has someone actually read this section [win32 programming] carefully,
> > what do they think?
>
> Well, I have but I may be a bit biased...
>
> It was written July - September 1999 so some things are slightly out of date
> but all in all I think it is a good introduction for anybody new to wxPython.

Is it still accurate?

regards,
Gerrit.

--
Comparison Python GUI's: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/gui.html
Please comment!

Re: [wxPython] wxPython tutorial in new O'Reilly book

Robin Dunn
> > > Has someone actually read this section [win32 programming] carefully,
> > > what do they think?
> >
> > Well, I have but I may be a bit biased...
> >
> > It was written July - September 1999 so some things are slightly out of
date
> > but all in all I think it is a good introduction for anybody new to
wxPython.

> Is it still accurate?

Yes.  In fact I just fired up the sample code a couple days ago before I sent
it to Mark (I assume to put on his website about the book) to make sure it
still ran okay.  There were no problems, at least on MSW.