[wxPython] wxListCtrl speedups

Aaron Rhodes-2
Hello.

Just wanted to say great work on 2.1b3.
The file chooser certainly is nice looking.

My question has to do with wxListCtrl.  I have a rather
large number of cells to fill in (1600 lines with 6 columns per line)
and I'm seeing a speed bottleneck using the InsertStringItem
and SetStringItem methods of the ListCtrl.  It currently
takes about 10 seconds for the list control to display 1624 lines
using those functions.  Are there any ways to increase the
speed of filling up a list control?

Another thing I noticed is that the first time the list control is
filled, it only takes about 3 seconds to fill with 1600 lines
while subsequent fills take 10 seconds.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

--
Aaron Rhodes
Network Security Engineer

Re: [wxPython] wxListCtrl speedups

Robin Dunn

> My question has to do with wxListCtrl.  I have a rather
> large number of cells to fill in (1600 lines with 6 columns per line)
> and I'm seeing a speed bottleneck using the InsertStringItem
> and SetStringItem methods of the ListCtrl.  It currently
> takes about 10 seconds for the list control to display 1624 lines
> using those functions.  Are there any ways to increase the
> speed of filling up a list control?
>
> Another thing I noticed is that the first time the list control is
> filled, it only takes about 3 seconds to fill with 1600 lines
> while subsequent fills take 10 seconds.

The word over on the wxwin-developers list is that the GTK list control is
terribly slow and there is nothing known that can be done for it other than
use another list control :-(

Re: [wxPython] wxListCtrl speedups

Harm van der Heijden
Robin Dunn wrote:

> The word over on the wxwin-developers list is that the GTK list control is
> terribly slow and there is nothing known that can be done for it other than
> use another list control :-(

Aren't you confusing wxListBox with wxListCtrl? The list control that
wxWindows on unix uses is generic and doesn't use GTK widgets.

Still, I can imagine that a generic implementation is slower than the native
win32 one that wxMSW uses, so the problem remains.

Regards,

Harm

Re: [wxPython] wxListCtrl speedups

Robin Dunn

> > The word over on the wxwin-developers list is that the GTK list control
is
> > terribly slow and there is nothing known that can be done for it other
than
> > use another list control :-(
>
> Aren't you confusing wxListBox with wxListCtrl? The list control that
> wxWindows on unix uses is generic and doesn't use GTK widgets.

Oops!  Yes I did.  (I need more sleep...)