[wxPython] wxHtmlWindow and wxToolBar

Joel Lucsy-2
Can't seem to add a wxHtmlWindow to a wxToolBar using AddControl.

 - Joel Lucsy ([hidden email])

Re: [wxPython] wxHtmlWindow and wxToolBar

Robin Dunn
> Can't seem to add a wxHtmlWindow to a wxToolBar using AddControl.

Because wxHtmlWindow does not derive from wxControl.  With the next release,
or the recent interim builds, you will be able to make your own class derived
from wxControl and place a wxHtmlWindow within it.  That should work just
fine on a toolbar.

Re: [wxPython] wxHtmlWindow and wxToolBar

Joel Lucsy-2
(Slaps himself on the head, Of Course!) Thanks. That should've been really
evident, but I guess my brain didn't kick in. Thanks for being patient with
me.
Couple more questions:
    1-I've recently rebuilt python15.dll with VC6's delay loading
mechanisms. I'd like to see the wx2_11.dll rebuilt this way. Any chance of
this happening? I'd do it myself, but I think the benefits could apply to
everyone. wxWindows uses a lot of dlls.
    2-While using PyShell, I created the shell in a frame, but if I close
the frame without putting focus within the input box, it gpf's. I supply
code if needed.
    3-Can a toolbar be created with one bitmap containing the individual
images instead of separate images?
I guess that's it. Thanks.

- Joel Lucsy ([hidden email])

Re: [wxPython] wxHtmlWindow and wxToolBar

Robin Dunn
> Couple more questions:
>     1-I've recently rebuilt python15.dll with VC6's delay loading
> mechanisms. I'd like to see the wx2_11.dll rebuilt this way. Any chance of
> this happening? I'd do it myself, but I think the benefits could apply to
> everyone. wxWindows uses a lot of dlls.

I'm not familiar with this.  How is it done and what is it good for?

>     2-While using PyShell, I created the shell in a frame, but if I close
> the frame without putting focus within the input box, it gpf's. I supply
> code if needed.

Yes, please.

>     3-Can a toolbar be created with one bitmap containing the individual
> images instead of separate images?

Nope.  Although you could create it as a single image and programatically
take it apart at runtime to send to the wxToolBar.  But then on MSW it just
puts them back together again into a single image!  <grin>

Re: [wxPython] wxHtmlWindow and wxToolBar

Joel Lucsy-2
I've attached the PyShell test.
The delay load mechanism is a way to delay the loading of dependant dlls
until their first usage. This typically (or dramatically) speeds loading
time.
To use it you add the delayimp.lib to the libs, then specify which dlls to
delay load (/delayload:wsock32.dll). So, using wsock32.dll as an example,
unless you use the socket lib, wsock32.dll will never be loaded.
wxWindows relys on 13 dlls (msvcrt, kernel32, advapi32, user32, gdi32,
comdl32, shell32, comctl32, ole32, oleaut32, rpcrt4, winmm, msvcirt).
According to the docs, kernel32 is the only one not allowed to be delay
loaded. I'd say most, if not all, should/could be delay loaded. Of course
this is my opinion, but I'd like to see what the difference would be.
If you need any help or more questions about this, feel free to ask.

- Joel Lucsy ([hidden email])

> >     1-I've recently rebuilt python15.dll with VC6's delay loading
> > mechanisms. I'd like to see the wx2_11.dll rebuilt this way. Any chance
of
> > this happening? I'd do it myself, but I think the benefits could apply
> > everyone. wxWindows uses a lot of dlls.
>
> I'm not familiar with this.  How is it done and what is it good for?
>

> >     2-While using PyShell, I created the shell in a frame, but if I
close

> > the frame without putting focus within the input box, it gpf's. I supply
> > code if needed.
>
> Yes, please.
>
> >     3-Can a toolbar be created with one bitmap containing the individual
> > images instead of separate images?
>
> Nope.  Although you could create it as a single image and programatically
> take it apart at runtime to send to the wxToolBar.  But then on MSW it
just

> puts them back together again into a single image!  <grin>
>
> --
> Robin Dunn
> Software Craftsman
> [hidden email]
> http://AllDunn.com/robin/
> http://AllDunn.com/wxPython/  Check it out!

testshell.py (540 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [wxPython] wxHtmlWindow and wxToolBar

Markus Gritsch
Joel Lucsy wrote:

> The delay load mechanism is a way to delay the loading of dependant dlls
> until their first usage. This typically (or dramatically) speeds loading
> time.
> To use it you add the delayimp.lib to the libs, then specify which dlls to
> delay load (/delayload:wsock32.dll). So, using wsock32.dll as an example,
> unless you use the socket lib, wsock32.dll will never be loaded.
> wxWindows relys on 13 dlls (msvcrt, kernel32, advapi32, user32, gdi32,
> comdl32, shell32, comctl32, ole32, oleaut32, rpcrt4, winmm, msvcirt).
> According to the docs, kernel32 is the only one not allowed to be delay
> loaded. I'd say most, if not all, should/could be delay loaded. Of course
> this is my opinion, but I'd like to see what the difference would be.
> If you need any help or more questions about this, feel free to ask.

I think it would be very nice, if wxPython would use this delay load mechanism too!
If one starts an application, he wants to see the launched application now. So if
this can reduce the startup time of a wxPython application, this approach should be
taken!

--
Markus