[wxPython] wxGLCanvas

Heymann William
What do I need to do to get this working under linux? I have redhat 6.1
and Mesa 3.1 installed but every time I try to run an opengl app in linux
it segfaults with no error. Even the demo with wxPython dies instantly
when trying to run the demo for wxGLCanvas. I would really like to know
what I need to do to get it running under linux since I am trying to work
on a client for worldforge with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: [wxPython] wxGLCanvas

Robin Dunn
> What do I need to do to get this working under linux? I have redhat 6.1
> and Mesa 3.1 installed but every time I try to run an opengl app in linux
> it segfaults with no error. Even the demo with wxPython dies instantly
> when trying to run the demo for wxGLCanvas. I would really like to know
> what I need to do to get it running under linux since I am trying to work
> on a client for worldforge with it. Any help would be appreciated.

I had that problem too for a while, and I was never sure of the cause.  At
the time I was linking statically with the MesaGL library.  When I changed
things to link with the shared library instead it got a lot better.
Unfortunatly I don't remember which way it was at the time of the 2.1.11
release.

Something else I have done recently is to remove all non-wx stuff from the
glcanvas module and instead depend upon DA's PyOpenGL module being installed.
It's much more complete and since he actually understands GL (I don't know a
whole lot about it,) it is more accurate and usable from Python as well.

I'm going to try and make a 2.1.12 release for Linux over the weekend to go
with the new 2.1.12 wxGTK, so if you're not in a rush you can wait for that
and see if the wxGLCanvas works out any better for you.  Otherwise you can
try building wxPython yourself and it will probably work better by
dyanmically linking with your MesaGL.