[wxPython] what about wxPython & SGI Irix 6.5?

[wxPython] what about wxPython & SGI Irix 6.5?

Maurizio Turatti

Hi, I'm starting a new project and the code must run on WinNT and Irix 6.5. I
prefer wxPython over Tkinter, but I'd like to read your opinions and experiences
about wxPython's behaviour with Irix.

Thanks for your comments,

M.T.

RE: [wxPython] what about wxPython & SGI Irix 6.5?

rtolbert
I have had pretty good success with wxPython on Irix and NT (and Linux).
The build process for the entire tool chain is not simple, but the latest
versions work great.   I have run into some subtle differences between the
implemention under Windows and the implementation under GTK.  The
differences are not wxPython, but in the underlying toolkits.  For the most
part I think I can work around these differences and still be very happy.

I think the workarounds are worth the end product.  Even with some platform
specific problems (compared to Tk for example) the end result is a program
that looks much more native on both platforms, especially WinNT.  I am
currently developing for Irix but the NT version gives me a) the ability to
develop on my laptop while traveling and b) the long-term ability to port to
NT should the users desire to switch from Irix workstations.

The one thing I really need is a neat solution for wrapping the platform
specific pieces. I know most people might think that the C method of #ifdef
SGI  #endif  preprocessor stuff is an abomination, but in the interest of
fine-tuning code it does lend code that is relatively readable while tuned
to the specifics of a platform.  In reality, most any application in Python
that is intended for both Unix and NT will eventually run into platform
specific issues regardless of the GUI toolkit in use.

I have seen mention of a package called 'platform.py' but that may be
overkill.

I suppose there might be something in wxWindows that I can query that will
tell me the underlying toolkit that I happen to be running on.  Robin???

Good luck,
Bob

Robin Dunn

> I suppose there might be something in wxWindows that I can query that will
> tell me the underlying toolkit that I happen to be running on.  Robin???

wxPlatform.  It's a string variable and will be equal to something like
"__WXGTK__" or "__WXMSW__".