[wxPython] undefined symbol: __pure_virtual

[wxPython] undefined symbol: __pure_virtual

Laurence Liew-2
Hi guys!

I am trying out wxPython for the first time, after installing wxPython,
I tried to rn the demo.py and got the following error.

$ python demo.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "demo.py", line 3, in ?
    import Main
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/demo/Main.py", line
15, in ?
    from   wxPython.wx import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20,
in ?
    import wxc
ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/wxcmodule.so:
undefined symbol: __pure_virtual

I installed using the 2.1.11-1 rpm release. My gtk is 1.2.6

Any ideas ?

--
Cheers!

Laurence Liew

Re: [wxPython] undefined symbol: __pure_virtual

Robin Dunn
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/wxcmodule.so:
> undefined symbol: __pure_virtual
>
> I installed using the 2.1.11-1 rpm release. My gtk is 1.2.6

You didn't mention which Linux you are running on, but I think this happens
if there is a mismatch between the standard c++ library that I built with and
the one installed on your system.  Running "ldd
/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/wxcmodule.so" might give some
clues, but you'll probably have to build wxPython yourself.

You should install the wxGTK-devel rpm and then get the wxPython source
package.  Follow the instructions at the end of the README.txt file, or there
is a newer set of instructions at:

http://starship.python.net/pipermail/wxpython-users/1999-November/001074.html