[wxPython] resource editor?

Ionel Simionescu
Hi,

I recall reading that wxWindows offers the possibility to use resource
files, but I am not able to retrieve any meaningful information about the
resource editor that was mentioned in this context.

Does such a thing exist?
Can it be used with wxPython?

Thank you,
ionel

Re: [wxPython] resource editor?

Robin Dunn

> I recall reading that wxWindows offers the possibility to use resource
> files, but I am not able to retrieve any meaningful information about the
> resource editor that was mentioned in this context.
>
> Does such a thing exist?
> Can it be used with wxPython?

There is a simple Dialog Editor available in the wxWindows sources.  It can
be used to place controls on a panel or dialog and it generates ASCII .wxr
files.  These can be read at runtime with wxResourceParseFile.  You can then
initialize a window using wxWindow.LoadFromResource.

Eventually (hopefully the next release) the dialog editor will be part of my
binary distributions and I'll have some samples in the demo.

Re: [wxPython] resource editor?

Ionel Simionescu

| > I recall reading that wxWindows offers the possibility to use resource
| > files, but I am not able to retrieve any meaningful information about
the
| > resource editor that was mentioned in this context.
| >
| > Does such a thing exist?
| > Can it be used with wxPython?
| >

| There is a simple Dialog Editor available in the wxWindows sources.  It
can
| be used to place controls on a panel or dialog and it generates ASCII .wxr
| files.  These can be read at runtime with wxResourceParseFile.  You can
then
| initialize a window using wxWindow.LoadFromResource.
|
| Eventually (hopefully the next release) the dialog editor will be part of
my
| binary distributions and I'll have some samples in the demo.

Thank you.

In the meanwhile, I've started considering an alternative.

I have HomeSite 4.0.
Everybody can use Communicator or Front Page, as well as any of the numerous
good HTML editors.

HomeSite in particular, makes it a snap to create sophisticated HTML pages,
and takes care of styles and layout. I look into getting wxHTML to direct
the conbtent from INPUT html fields as wxPython classes. I would also like
to get buttons rendered and associated with wxPython buttons.

If this will work, I shall have the UI fully implemented in HTML while the
logic will be in Python.

This allows me to readily expose the (wxWindows independent part of the)
resulting application on a ZOPE server.

Cool would be that, wouldn't it?
:-)

It may, however, be a long way.
I'm pilling docs to see how wxHTML can be extended. Currently, it does not
render HTML's buttons....

ionel

Re: [wxPython] resource editor?

Robin Dunn

> If this will work, I shall have the UI fully implemented in HTML while the
> logic will be in Python.
>
> This allows me to readily expose the (wxWindows independent part of the)
> resulting application on a ZOPE server.
>
> Cool would be that, wouldn't it?
> :-)

Yes it is.  I've had similar ideas before but havn't had any time to
investigate them.  wxHTML is still a little rough in places (more complex
tables give it touble, etc.) but I have high hopes that in time it will be
really useful for things like this.  I call them "Hybrid Programs,"
traditional GUI programs that use HTML internally to easily present very
rich UIs.  The advantage over a browser based app is that there can be much
more smarts in the widgets on the page by using wxPython to create custom
classes.