wxPython on Ubuntu 17 und Oracle VM Vin a Win 10 PC

wxPython on Ubuntu 17 und Oracle VM Vin a Win 10 PC

Keep Secret
 12.4.2018

I managed to get wxPython installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the OS Stretch. It appears to be somewhat storage intensive but it seems to work
well and looks really good - very clear graphics indeeed. One create some really professional programmes with wxpython.

BUT trying to install wxPython on Ubuntu 17
is proving very difficult. Searching for assistance using duclduckgo turned up
many pages . but none of them worked.
One solution beinhg.sudo apt.get install wxpython fails due to "pkg-package" and probably GTX is not installed. Trying to pre install GTX failed
as well. The intreuctions from GTX+ do not mention dependancies.

Frankly I would prefer to compile wxpython4.0.1 to know that I get the latest version.

The wxPython people assume a very high level of installing knowledge...and Ubuntu is not even mentioned.

Can someone please help me here.....

Thank you in advance.

Any help on this

Re: wxPython on Ubuntu 17 und Oracle VM Vin a Win 10 PC

Robin Dunn
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 11:50:09 PM UTC-7, Keep Secret wrote:
 12.4.2018

I managed to get wxPython installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the OS Stretch. It appears to be somewhat storage intensive but it seems to work
well and looks really good - very clear graphics indeeed. One create some really professional programmes with wxpython.

BUT trying to install wxPython on Ubuntu 17
is proving very difficult. Searching for assistance using duclduckgo turned up
many pages . but none of them worked.
One solution beinhg.sudo apt.get install wxpython fails due to "pkg-package" and probably GTX is not installed. Trying to pre install GTX failed
as well. The intreuctions from GTX+ do not mention dependancies.

Frankly I would prefer to compile wxpython4.0.1 to know that I get the latest version.

There is some background info and also build steps here that will help with building wxPython4 yourself for Linux.

https://wxpython.org/blog/2017-08-17-builds-for-linux-with-pip/index.html

--
Robin

Re: wxPython on Ubuntu 17 und Oracle VM Vin a Win 10 PC

Dietmar Schwertberger-2
On 4/12/2018 8:50 AM, Keep Secret wrote:
 12.4.2018

BUT trying to install wxPython on Ubuntu 17is proving very difficult. Searching for assistance using duclduckgo turned up
many pages . but none of them worked.

Did you follow the instruction from the download page?
https://wxpython.org/pages/downloads/

I had no problems installing the gtk3/ubuntu-16.04 wheels on Ubuntu 17. I have not tried compiling myself yet.

Be aware that Ubuntu 17 by default uses Wayland instead of X. ClientDC is not working under Wayland (issue #743).

Regards,

Dietmar

Re: wxPython on Ubuntu 17 und Oracle VM Vin a Win 10 PC

Keep Secret
That does show how to install gtx but not a clear indication of how to install wxpython.

In fact I am slowly going off wxpython - I do not want to spend hours and multiple duckduckgo's so I am not the only one with problems installing.
Install on Rpi went well but took a very long tome to compile python 6 and wxpython.

When you find out how to install wxpython on Ubuntu. please please let us know.

On 4/12/2018 6:55 PM, Nigel Trewartha wrote:
That does show how to install gtx but not a clear indication of how to install wxpython.

It's for installation of wxPython.

The documented command

  pip install -U -f https://extras.wxpython.org/wxPython4/extras/linux/gtk3/ubuntu-16.04 wxPython

will install the wxPython binaries from here: https://extras.wxpython.org/wxPython4/extras/linux/gtk3/ubuntu-16.04/

Regards,

Dietmar

On 4/12/2018 7:48 PM, Nigel Trewartha wrote:
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk3.0
> pip install -U -f
> sf_SHARED-UBUNTU-64BIT/wxPython-4.0.1-cp36-cp36m-linux_x86_64.whl

This is quite different from what is on the download page.

Why do you want to install python-wxgtk3.0? Just skip this step. I have
not tried, but I would think that this the Classic package for Python 2.

Maybe you should also use "python3 -mpip" instead of "pip", just to make
sure you have the right Python version.
"pip" is for the default Python 2.7 while your wheel is for 3.6.
Calling via "pip" and with the url from the download page probably would
have worked, but then wxPython would have been installed for Python 2.7.

So, the easiest way to install for Python 3:
python3 -mpip install -U -f

On 4/12/2018 8:03 PM, Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:
> Why do you want to install python-wxgtk3.0? Just skip this step. I
> have not tried, but I would think that this the Classic package for
> Python 2.

P.S.: I just found that I also did install "sudo apt-get install
python-wxgtk3.0" some time ago as sometimes I'm using Python 2.7 with
Classic as well.
So your error message was probably just due to the mismatch of pip/2.7
vs. wheel/3.6.