[wxPython] newbie help!

Brad Losh-3
I have just downloaded glib, gtk+, the wxGTK rpm and wxpython RPM for my
caldera open linux 2.2 system.  these were all downloaded into my home
directory.  from my home directory, i tar'd glib and gtk+, did the
./configure, make, and make install.  they appeared to work.  went to
kpackage and did the rpm for wxGTK, it wanted  the gtk+ something or
other.  i noticed to do without dependencies, I guess that was for
wxGTK, and it worked.  then I did the rPM for wxPython, without
dependencies, and it worked.

when i am at a python prompt and type:

from wxPython.wx import *

I get:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 16,
in?
     import wxc
import error: libstdc++.so.2.8: cannot open shared object file: no such
file or directory

what does this mean?  did I build this stuff all wrong?  should it have
gone into another directory?

thanks for the help!

Re: [wxPython] newbie help!

Robin Dunn
> I have just downloaded glib, gtk+, the wxGTK rpm and wxpython RPM for my
> caldera open linux 2.2 system.  these were all downloaded into my home
> directory.  from my home directory, i tar'd glib and gtk+, did the
> ./configure, make, and make install.  they appeared to work.  went to
> kpackage and did the rpm for wxGTK, it wanted  the gtk+ something or
> other.

The wxGTK package is dependent on the gtk+ package.  You built and installed
gtk from sources and so your package database doesn't know it's installed.

> i noticed to do without dependencies, I guess that was for
> wxGTK, and it worked.  then I did the rPM for wxPython, without
> dependencies, and it worked.
>
> when i am at a python prompt and type:
>
> from wxPython.wx import *
>
> I get:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 16,
> in?
>      import wxc
> import error: libstdc++.so.2.8: cannot open shared object file: no such
> file or directory
>

> what does this mean?  did I build this stuff all wrong?  should it have
> gone into another directory?

This just means that the wxPython binary is linked with the stdc++ library,
which is usually installed along with the GNU C++ compiler  I havn't tried
to figure out how to remove this dependency yet...

You can probably build your own wxPython without any problems and then it
will be linked exactly how your system needs it to be.  You will need the
wxGTK-devel-2.1.0-9.i386.rpm and also the development files for Python 1.5.1
or 1.5.2.  (If you built your own Python, then its "make install" is enough.
If you installed python RPM's then your need the -develop RPM.)

See wxPython's readme for info on how to build it.

Re: [wxPython] newbie help!

Harri Pasanen

Brad Losh wrote:

> when i am at a python prompt and type:
>
> from wxPython.wx import *
>
> I get:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 16,
> in?
>      import wxc
> import error: libstdc++.so.2.8: cannot open shared object file: no such
> file or directory
>
> what does this mean?  did I build this stuff all wrong?  should it have
> gone into another directory?

That's not a wxPython problem, more like a missing system lib.

Looks like you are missing libstdc++,  the C++ standard library. Or the
correct version of it.  First look if you can find libstdc++. (locate
libstdc might do the trick if locate is installed by Caldera).  Next, if
you can't find it on your harddisk, then it should be on your Caldera
Linux CD.  Other than that, the rpm can probably be found from Caldera's
or RedHats site.

Harri