[wxPython] flashing OpenGL problems - fixed plus a wxGTK question

[wxPython] flashing OpenGL problems - fixed plus a wxGTK question

rtolbert
I have fixed the problem with flashing of openGL canvases on wxGTK.   This
might be a problem between the two implementations, but at least I am now
fixed.

I did my initial development under Win32 and any time I updated the objects
in the openGL window, I simply called  view.Refresh()

I never realized that there are possible arguments to this call.  Once I
ported over to Linux/Unix I got horrible flashing problems.  Well, I see now
that I should have been calling self.Refresh(false) which prevents redrawing
the window background.  If this means the default is false on wxMSW and true
on wxGTK, then I would consider it a minor bug.  In any case, I will simply
be more specific in the future.

Now for a couple of questions specific to the wxGTK version.  I am running
on an SGI Octane with Irix 6.5.   First the default font is HUGE for all the
GTK widgets.   I think on Linux at home it is reasonable sized, but this is
ridiculous.  Is this a product of the window manager (4Dwm)? how I built
wxGTK?, or do I just need to go in and manually set the font sizes to my
liking?

Second, I get some occasional color map problems with toolbar bitmaps and
the borders between splitter windows.  On one run, I'll get a bright green,
then a second run the default grey then later a bright red.  This machine
shouldn't have colormap problems like an 8bit X windows might.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Robert W. Tolbert, Ph.D. ph. 203.778.7840
Senior Principal Systems Engineer fax 203.798.5660
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
900 Ridgebury Road/P. O. Box 368
Ridgefield, CT 06877-0368

Re: [wxPython] flashing OpenGL problems - fixed plus a wxGTK question

Robin Dunn

> I never realized that there are possible arguments to this call.  Once I
> ported over to Linux/Unix I got horrible flashing problems.  Well, I see
now
> that I should have been calling self.Refresh(false) which prevents
redrawing
> the window background.  If this means the default is false on wxMSW and
true
> on wxGTK, then I would consider it a minor bug.  In any case, I will simply
> be more specific in the future.

I think that MSW is just more efficient at clearing the background while GTK
does something like forcing a window update after the background was cleared.
All speculation though.

> Now for a couple of questions specific to the wxGTK version.  I am running
> on an SGI Octane with Irix 6.5.   First the default font is HUGE for all
the
> GTK widgets.   I think on Linux at home it is reasonable sized, but this is
> ridiculous.  Is this a product of the window manager (4Dwm)? how I built
> wxGTK?, or do I just need to go in and manually set the font sizes to my
> liking?

I'm not sure where wxGTK gets its default fonts.  They may be coming from
some gtk theme settings or they may be hard coded somewhere.  Regardless,
most windows will aquire their default font from their parent window, so if
you set the font you like on your top-level windows then the font used by
default for the child controls should match.

> Second, I get some occasional color map problems with toolbar bitmaps and
> the borders between splitter windows.  On one run, I'll get a bright green,
> then a second run the default grey then later a bright red.  This machine
> shouldn't have colormap problems like an 8bit X windows might.

There was some talk a few weeks ago about how wxGTK was selecting the Visual
that it was using.  Most X-Servers only have one visual so it doesn't matter
but SGI systems have several.  wxGTK was supposed to be picking the default
visual but for some reason was always picking an 8-bit visual.  It is
supposed to be fixed now to pick the best visual (greatest colour depth)
instead, so you shouldn't see that problem after 2.1.14 is released.