[wxPython] building wxpython

Daniel Glassey-3
Hullo,
        I'm trying to build wxPython from current CVS using
msvc6.

First I built the wxwin dll as debug
When I run (via batch) build.py -b
it says it can't find rule for
$(WXWIN)/src/msw/DebugDLL/dummy.obj, but it is
dummydll.obj that has been created because it was a
dll that was made.

So, I set DUMMYOBJ to point to the dummydll.obj file,
but now when it tries to compile wxc.lib it complains
about tonnes of unresolved external symbols (all
wxWindows stuff).

Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Re: [wxPython] building wxpython

Robin Dunn
> Hullo,
> I'm trying to build wxPython from current CVS using
> msvc6.
>
> First I built the wxwin dll as debug
> When I run (via batch) build.py -b
> it says it can't find rule for
> $(WXWIN)/src/msw/DebugDLL/dummy.obj, but it is
> dummydll.obj that has been created because it was a
> dll that was made.
>
> So, I set DUMMYOBJ to point to the dummydll.obj file,
> but now when it tries to compile wxc.lib it complains
> about tonnes of unresolved external symbols (all
> wxWindows stuff).

The dummydll.obj file is used for precompiled headers and such for building
wxWindows itself.  You still need dummy.obj for everything else.  The reason
for this is because of different macros being defined for building the DLL
vs. using the DLL.  When building wxWindows you need to build both the "dll"
and the "pch" targets, i.e.:

    nmake -f makefile.vc dll pch

After you do this be sure to do a "build -c" in wxPython before trying to
build again in order to be sure that the correct symbols are used.

If you ever need to rebuild the DLL you need to first remove both dummy
files first.