[wxPython] Splash screens in wxPython

Pieter Claerhout-3
Hi,

I just started using wxPython on my PC, and I was
wondering if it's possible to create splash screens
like the ones you see with all Microsoft products
(window without title bar and borders displaying an
image). If it's possible to create such a splash
screen, I would appreciate it if you can tell me
how to accomplish this in wxPython.

Kind regards,

Pieter

Re: [wxPython] Splash screens in wxPython

Robin Dunn
> I just started using wxPython on my PC, and I was
> wondering if it's possible to create splash screens
> like the ones you see with all Microsoft products
> (window without title bar and borders displaying an
> image). If it's possible to create such a splash
> screen, I would appreciate it if you can tell me
> how to accomplish this in wxPython.

You can use a normal wxFrame without title bar, system menu, or maximize /
minimize boxes. There is a style, wxSIMPLE_BORDER, which you can use to get
a frame without any window decorations; this should be perfectly suitable
for a splash screen.  The wxSTAY_ON_TOP style would probably be useful too.

It would be nice to have a general class to handle something like this to
add to the library...  (hint,hint...)

[wxPython] Re: Splash screens in wxPython

Bruce Rabine

I've created a nice splash screen class which works fine with .bmp, .gif,
.png, and .jpg files (and yes, I'll be perfectly willing to share it when
it's complete), but I was wondering if there is any support for animation,
like an animated gif?  If so, how is it done?  If not, is there any plans
for this?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Robin Dunn wrote:

> > I just started using wxPython on my PC, and I was
> > wondering if it's possible to create splash screens
> > like the ones you see with all Microsoft products
> > (window without title bar and borders displaying an
> > image). If it's possible to create such a splash
> > screen, I would appreciate it if you can tell me
> > how to accomplish this in wxPython.
> >

> You can use a normal wxFrame without title bar, system menu, or maximize /
> minimize boxes. There is a style, wxSIMPLE_BORDER, which you can use to get
> a frame without any window decorations; this should be perfectly suitable
> for a splash screen.  The wxSTAY_ON_TOP style would probably be useful too.
>
> It would be nice to have a general class to handle something like this to
> add to the library...  (hint,hint...)
>
> --
> Robin Dunn
> Software Craftsman
> [hidden email]
> http://AllDunn.com/robin/
> http://AllDunn.com/wxPython/  Check it out!

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Bruce Rabine              e-mail:  [hidden email] |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

[wxPython] Re: Splash screens in wxPython

Robin Dunn
> I've created a nice splash screen class which works fine with .bmp, .gif,
> .png, and .jpg files (and yes, I'll be perfectly willing to share it when
> it's complete),

Cool!

> but I was wondering if there is any support for animation,
> like an animated gif?  If so, how is it done?  If not, is there any plans
> for this?

It's being worked on.  It should be able to handle animated gifs or other
image file formats that can hold multiple iamges as well as animating a
collection of wxImage objects.