[wxPython] Release 2.1b3

Robin Dunn
I have just uploaded wxPython 2.1b3.  This release was primarily made to
have a version syncronized with wxGTK 2.1 snapshot 9, but there are a few
other things done too.  I've listed them below.

I'm still in the middle of wrapping OGL, but it is progressing well. I
expect to do another release as soon as I finish this, (within a week or
two.)

This release includes Harm's wxHTML module. It's not a proper part of the
demo yet, but there are a couple samples in the demo directory. If OGL
finishes up quickly then I'll try to put a little work into enhancing the
html module for the next release too.

If you are using a non-RH6 system, you may have to install the RPM
with --nodeps because of some screwy dependencies that are generated for the
glibc. I have tested this RPM on a RH5.1 system with the --nodeps and it
worked fine.  You should be able to use this RPM along with the wxGTK
(2.1.0-9) RPM on most Linux systems with glibc2.

>From the README:

What's new in 2.1b3
--------------------

This release is syncronized with release 2.1 snapshot 9 of wxWindows.

Switched to using SWIG from CVS (see http://swig.cs.uchicago.edu/cvs.html)
for some of the new features and such.  Also they have encorporated my
patches so there is really no reason to stick with the current (very
old) release...  This version of SWIG gives the following new
features:

    1. Keyword arguments.  You no longer have to specify all the
       parameters with defaults to a method just to specify a
       non-default value on the end.  You can now do this instead:

   win = wxWindow(parent, -1, style = mystyle)

    2. There is now an an equivalence between Python's None and C++'s
       NULL.  This means that any methods that might return NULL will
       now return None and you can use None where wxWindows might be
       expecting NULL.  This makes things much more snake-ish.

There is a new build system based on a new Python program instead of
raw makefiles.  Now wxPython builds are virtually the same on MSW or
Unix systems.  See the end of this file for new build instructions and
see distrib/build.py for more details.

wxDC.Bilt now includes the useMask parameter, and has been split into
two different versions.  wxDC.BlitXY is like what was there before and
takes raw coordinants and sizes, and the new wxDC.Blit is for the new
interface using wxPoints and a wxSize.

Re: [wxPython] Release 2.1b3

Hannu Krosing-4
Robin Dunn wrote:

> I have just uploaded wxPython 2.1b3.  This release was primarily made to
> have a version syncronized with wxGTK 2.1 snapshot 9, but there are a few
> other things done too.  I've listed them below.
>
> I'm still in the middle of wrapping OGL, but it is progressing well. I
> expect to do another release as soon as I finish this, (within a week or
> two.)
>
> This release includes Harm's wxHTML module. It's not a proper part of the
> demo yet, but there are a couple samples in the demo directory. If OGL
> finishes up quickly then I'll try to put a little work into enhancing the
> html module for the next release too.
>
> If you are using a non-RH6 system, you may have to install the RPM
> with --nodeps because of some screwy dependencies that are generated for the
> glibc. I have tested this RPM on a RH5.1 system with the --nodeps and it
> worked fine.  You should be able to use this RPM along with the wxGTK
> (2.1.0-9) RPM on most Linux systems with glibc2.

After reading your page about contributing to the project I checked out
the current wxWindows from CVS and tried to build it on Linux (RH5.2
kernel 2.2.6)
I did cvs checkout wxWindows;./configure and make in the wxWindows dir).

Unfortunately the build process stops when starting to build src/gtk due
duplicate definitions for many things in treecontrol.h with errors like:

 include/wx/gtk/treectrl.h:66: redefinition of `int const
wxTREE_HITTEST_ONITEM'
 include/wx/generic/treectrl.h:77: `int const wxTREE_HITTEST_ONITEM'
previously defined here

As I am currently looking at adding some small things (like ability to
unpack wxPoints -  x,y = wxPoint(X,Y) ) I don't actually need the
whole wxWindows to build, I hope installing the development rpm's would
be enough

So, do I have to get the whole wxWindows tree to build or can I just use
utils/wxPython and the rpm version of wxGTK 2.1 snapshot 9 ?

Re: [wxPython] Release 2.1b3

Harm van der Heijden
Robin Dunn wrote:
> If you are using a non-RH6 system, you may have to install the RPM
> with --nodeps because of some screwy dependencies that are generated for the
> glibc. I have tested this RPM on a RH5.1 system with the --nodeps and it
> worked fine.  You should be able to use this RPM along with the wxGTK
> (2.1.0-9) RPM on most Linux systems with glibc2.

It works fine on my Redhat 6 system. At the time, the wxGTK ftp site referenced
from the wxPython homepage appeared to be down. You can find a list of mirrors
here: http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~wxxt/download.html

Propective wxHtml users should be aware of the fact that wxWin b9 still
contains a few annoying bugs. Most notably, malformed numeric arguments in
tags can cause core dumps: <font size=+2> and <font size="+2"> are okay, but
likely crash. This has been fixed in cvs since snapshot 9 was released.

Also, the wxHtml documentation is not written yet. You'll have to examine
html.py to see what functions are available and then consult the wxWindows
docs for an explanation. You can also examine the htmlview.py and
htmlwidget.py demos, which exploit most of the functionality now available.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the http:// filesystem will not work in
wxHtml for wxMSW, as the new style socket classes are still absent from the
wxWindows library. (Robin, is this correct?)

The wxHtmlHelp wrapper (win95-like htmlhelp system) didn't make it into this
wxPython snapshot. I'll try to get it into presentable shape before Robin
releases the next wxPython snapshot with wxOGL.

In the meantime, it might be cool to have an interactive tutorial using
Robin's tutorial pages, with the static demo code replaced by wxHtml widgets
(see demo/htmlwidget.py for a sample), so that the demo code can be edited
and executed by the user. Someone want to try this?

Harm

Re: [wxPython] Release 2.1b3

> After reading your page about contributing to the project I checked out
> the current wxWindows from CVS and tried to build it on Linux (RH5.2
> kernel 2.2.6)
> I did cvs checkout wxWindows;./configure and make in the wxWindows dir).
>
> Unfortunately the build process stops when starting to build src/gtk due
> duplicate definitions for many things in treecontrol.h with errors like:

I think the wxWin build process is now geared to be run from an empty build
directory.  You might try mkdir build;cd build;../configure

> As I am currently looking at adding some small things (like ability to
> unpack wxPoints -  x,y = wxPoint(X,Y) ) I don't actually need the
> whole wxWindows to build, I hope installing the development rpm's would
> be enough
>
> So, do I have to get the whole wxWindows tree to build or can I just use
> utils/wxPython and the rpm version of wxGTK 2.1 snapshot 9 ?

I made this release using only the wxGTK RPMs.  You need the main RPM as
well as the development RPM.

Re: [wxPython] Release 2.1b3

> Unless I'm very much mistaken, the http:// filesystem will not work in
> wxHtml for wxMSW, as the new style socket classes are still absent from
the
> wxWindows library. (Robin, is this correct?)

Yes, this is correct.  There is currently no functioning socket classes in
the library for MSW.  It got rewritten to be less platform dependent and CVS
was updated with the new stuff for Unix with the MSW code supposed to be
following in a few days, but that was a few weeks ago...

However, once the virtual filesystem classes are wrapped then maybe a new
HTTP file system handler can be created using Python sockets...

> The wxHtmlHelp wrapper (win95-like htmlhelp system) didn't make it into
this
> wxPython snapshot. I'll try to get it into presentable shape before Robin
> releases the next wxPython snapshot with wxOGL.
>
> In the meantime, it might be cool to have an interactive tutorial using
> Robin's tutorial pages, with the static demo code replaced by wxHtml
widgets
> (see demo/htmlwidget.py for a sample), so that the demo code can be edited
> and executed by the user. Someone want to try this?

Interesting...