[wxPython] Redistributing wxPython

Mike  Fletcher
Hi all,

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I'm wondering what files and
registry entries need to be installed to get a functional wxPython
installation.  I'm going to have to get a professional installer package and
would like to minimize the number of "sub installers" the user runs (ideally
no-one should even know they are running Python).

I see an entry in the registry \\PythonPath\\wxPython but didn't find
anything else.  Is this the only thing I need beyond the wxPython directory
structure?

Thanks all,
Mike

Re: [wxPython] Redistributing wxPython

Arpad Kiss
Hi,
I use Gordon McMillan's
nstaller( http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html)  and noone know
they are running Python.
Arpad Kiss

> Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I'm wondering what files and
> registry entries need to be installed to get a functional wxPython
> installation.  I'm going to have to get a professional installer package
and
> would like to minimize the number of "sub installers" the user runs
(ideally
> no-one should even know they are running Python).
>
> I see an entry in the registry \\PythonPath\\wxPython but didn't find
> anything else.  Is this the only thing I need beyond the wxPython
directory

> structure?
>
> Thanks all,
> Mike

RE: [wxPython] Redistributing wxPython

Echeverria Rabi, Cristian  Rodrigo, TRANSELEC S.A.
The registry entry is only needed when a user donĀ“t want
to install into the standard places. Apart from this you need
the wxWindows DLL on Windows\System\, something like
wx21_11.dll.
All the rest is on the wxPython directory.

Cristian Echeverria

Jeffrey Kunce
>I'm going to have to get a professional installer package and
>would like to minimize the number of "sub installers" the user runs (ideally
>no-one should even know they are running Python).

I am using Gordon McMillan's Installer
http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/install.html
to package a wxPython app.

In short, *no* registry entries are needed, except
what you want to create for file associations,
shortcuts, uninstall, etc.

I'm just using the packaging part of Installer -
it packs all the python code into a single exe file
and collects that, with all the needed binary
dependencies (dll's, etc) in a single directory.
Then I use a more traditional installer program
to make the setup exe

  --Jeff

Re: [wxPython] Redistributing wxPython

> Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I'm wondering what files and
> registry entries need to be installed to get a functional wxPython
> installation.  I'm going to have to get a professional installer package
and
> would like to minimize the number of "sub installers" the user runs
(ideally
> no-one should even know they are running Python).
>
> I see an entry in the registry \\PythonPath\\wxPython but didn't find
> anything else.  Is this the only thing I need beyond the wxPython directory
> structure?

Actually, you don't even need that.  I just put it there as a placeholder in
case I needed something in the future.

I see others have recommended GM's Installer tool, and I do too.  I haven't
played with it for several releases but it's what I will be using.  It will
gather everything you need (.dll's, .pyd's, etc.) and package it such that
your users won't know or care what your app is written with.

RE: [wxPython] Redistributing wxPython

Mike  Fletcher
Hmm, I should have been more clear :) .  I want to leave the Python code
there for techies to play with (it's an open-sourced tool), I just don't
want the other designers (beside myself) to have to know it's Python.  I
will try Gordon's installers again, the last time I tried I got into trouble
with a lot of module's file-resolution code for resource files (VRML and
HTML files).  I may be able to fix that using the carchives and some
explicit fixes to the file-resolution code.  One way or another, knowing
that I can install wxPython without the installer should make the whole
thing pretty simple.

Thanks all,
Mike

Re: [wxPython] Redistributing wxPython

Robin Dunn
> Hmm, I should have been more clear :) .  I want to leave the Python code
> there for techies to play with (it's an open-sourced tool), I just don't
> want the other designers (beside myself) to have to know it's Python.  I
> will try Gordon's installers again, the last time I tried I got into
trouble
> with a lot of module's file-resolution code for resource files (VRML and
> HTML files).  I may be able to fix that using the carchives and some
> explicit fixes to the file-resolution code.  One way or another, knowing
> that I can install wxPython without the installer should make the whole
> thing pretty simple.

Yep.  wxPython only needs the .dll to be either on the PATH or in the
directory the .exe was started from, and the .pyd and .py files in a Python
package named wxPython.  The installer is just a convenience.