[wxPython] Rebuild of wxPython

Joel Lucsy-3
Ok, I'm trying to rebuild wxPython to reduce it's overall size so I can
embed in my current project. I've rebuilt the wxWindows dll, but the current
or interim builds don't like it. I'm assuming it because of name mangling,
but it basically can't find certain functions. I've built swig and I'm
trying to rebuild wxPython libraries, but it keeps telling me it doesn't
know how to build 'debugdll/dummy.obj'. Ok, where is it picking up debugdll?
I've built the release.  And why is it trying to rebuild dummy.obj anyways?
Where do I go next?
Here's the idea, I've got python15.dll built with delay loading (takes <1sec
as opposed to >2secs to load) and compressed to 200k. I'd like to try to do
the same to all of wxpython to make it a lighter distribution. Perhaps even
strip out much of the usused things in wxWindows. My application is a tiny
add-in to AutoCAD. Having a distrubution of over 3 meg for 200k dll is a
little unreasonable. Any thoughts?

- Joel Lucsy ([hidden email])

Re: [wxPython] Rebuild of wxPython

Robin Dunn
> Ok, I'm trying to rebuild wxPython to reduce it's overall size so I can
> embed in my current project. I've rebuilt the wxWindows dll, but the
current
> or interim builds don't like it. I'm assuming it because of name mangling,
> but it basically can't find certain functions.

Which version of the wxWindows sources did you build?  Which functions can't
be found?

> I've built swig and I'm
> trying to rebuild wxPython libraries, but it keeps telling me it doesn't
> know how to build 'debugdll/dummy.obj'. Ok, where is it picking up
debugdll?
> I've built the release.  And why is it trying to rebuild dummy.obj anyways?
> Where do I go next?

It's expecting to find it in the wxWindows build area.  They use dummy.obj to
specify all the precompiled headers.  If you add FINAL=1 to your build.local
then the wxPython build will look for it in $(WXWIN)/src/msw/ReleaseDLL
instead.

Re: [wxPython] Rebuild of wxPython

Joel Lucsy-3
> > Ok, I'm trying to rebuild wxPython to reduce it's overall size so I can
> > embed in my current project. I've rebuilt the wxWindows dll, but the
> current
> > or interim builds don't like it. I'm assuming it because of name
mangling,
> > but it basically can't find certain functions.
>
> Which version of the wxWindows sources did you build?  Which functions
can't
> be found?

I quote, "The procedure entry point ?GetLabel@wxMenuItem@@UBE?AVwxString@@XZ
could not be located in the dynamic library wx21_11.dll".  I don't remember
exactly where I got wxWindows from, but I believe it was a daily snapshot. I
get a different but similar error if I run it against the 2.1.11 release
instead of the latest interim.

> > I've built swig and I'm
> > trying to rebuild wxPython libraries, but it keeps telling me it doesn't
> > know how to build 'debugdll/dummy.obj'. Ok, where is it picking up
> debugdll?
> > I've built the release.  And why is it trying to rebuild dummy.obj
anyways?
> > Where do I go next?
>
> It's expecting to find it in the wxWindows build area.  They use dummy.obj
> specify all the precompiled headers.  If you add FINAL=1 to your
build.local
> then the wxPython build will look for it in $(WXWIN)/src/msw/ReleaseDLL
> instead.

After creating and editing build.local with FINAL=1
I quote, "NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make
C:\Projects\wxWindows\src\msw\ReleaseDLL\dummy.obj'"

BTW, I'm a celery powered 400 with 196MB on Win2k using VC6.

- Joel Lucsy ([hidden email])

Re: [wxPython] Rebuild of wxPython

Robin Dunn

> I quote, "The procedure entry point
?GetLabel@wxMenuItem@@UBE?AVwxString@@XZ
> could not be located in the dynamic library wx21_11.dll".

Okay, it's definitly a version mismatch then.  I just wanted to make sure it
wasn't something more complex.  Once you get wxPython building then you
should be okay.

> After creating and editing build.local with FINAL=1
> I quote, "NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make
> C:\Projects\wxWindows\src\msw\ReleaseDLL\dummy.obj'"

Did you build wxWindows from the makefiles or the IDE project files?  This
file is a byproduct of the wxWindows build.  I always use the makefiles but I
thought that the project file builds would create it also...

If you did use the makefiles, did you build both the 'dll' and the 'pch'
targets?

Re: [wxPython] Rebuild of wxPython

Joel Lucsy-2
Ok, well I used the makefile and got much further. Seemes building from the
IDE doesn't quite match.
New problem:
Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

        link @C:\Temp\nma01128.
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file "c:\program.obj"
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x49d'
Stop.
I can't seem to find where it thinks it's getting program from. I've changed
the references to c:\program files to c:\progra~1 in the makefile. Where
else would the problem be?

- Joel Lucsy([hidden email])