[wxPython] Re:Providing professional support and other nice things

[wxPython] Re:Providing professional support and other nice things

Sean Mc Grath
[Robin Dunne]
>A. Is anybody totally revolted by this?
Not I.

>B. For those of you on win32, would getting the debugging binaries and
>development files justify spending around $US 50?  (Or are the warm-fuzzies
>enough? ;-)
Yes.

http://www.pyxie.org - an Open Source XML Processing library for Python

[wxPython] wxStaticText and the style parameter

Gregory Landrum

Hi All,

I'm trying to get some labels displayed in a window and I'd like
to be able to set the justification of the labels.
According to the documentation, it seems like I should be able to
do this with the style parameter to the wxStaticText constructor.
Unfortunately, at least on my system (Win-NT, wxPython 2.1.11 from
the binary distribution) this doesn't work at all.
Here's some sample code:
    self.label =
wxStaticText(self.parent,ID,name,pos=ctrlpos,style=wxALIGN_LEFT)
    self.label2 =
wxStaticText(self.parent,ID+1,name,pos=ctrlpos,style=wxALIGN_RIGHT)
    self.label3 =
wxStaticText(self.parent,ID+2,name,pos=ctrlpos,style=wxALIGN_CENTER)
In theory one would expect this to create a big mess with three labels with
different
justifications superimposed upon each other.  In practice I only get one label
displayed.

So... the question is:
how can I get a wxStaticText object to aligned as advertised?

thanks in advance,
-greg

----
Greg Landrum, Ph.D.              [hidden email]
Sr. Research Scientist      Dupont Pharmaceutical Research Lab
  These are my views, not necessarily those of my employer.

Re: [wxPython] wxStaticText and the style parameter

Robin Dunn
> According to the documentation, it seems like I should be able to
> do this with the style parameter to the wxStaticText constructor.
> Unfortunately, at least on my system (Win-NT, wxPython 2.1.11 from
> the binary distribution) this doesn't work at all.
> Here's some sample code:
>     self.label =
> wxStaticText(self.parent,ID,name,pos=ctrlpos,style=wxALIGN_LEFT)
>     self.label2 =
> wxStaticText(self.parent,ID+1,name,pos=ctrlpos,style=wxALIGN_RIGHT)
>     self.label3 =
> wxStaticText(self.parent,ID+2,name,pos=ctrlpos,style=wxALIGN_CENTER)
> In theory one would expect this to create a big mess with three labels with
> different
> justifications superimposed upon each other.  In practice I only get one
label
> displayed.
>
> So... the question is:
> how can I get a wxStaticText object to aligned as advertised?

Alignment happens within the space given to the control.  Since you don't
specify a size, then the default size is the minimum needed to display the
text in the current font.  If you give a size that is larger than necessary,
you should see some alignment happening, although since you stacking them on
top of each other you will probably only see the top one since the background
for each control is not transparent.