[wxPython] Re: Color coding text

Matti Picus-3
Rober (the admired one) Dunn wrote:

The wxTextCtrl is not able to do this.  It's just not that smart.  I'm
working on a class that will let you do things like this fairly easily, but
until then your only solution is to draw the text yourself on possibly a
wxScrolledWindow using it's DC.

And I commented:

I use VIM extensively and it seems to have a good mechanism for changing
text appearances. They call it syntax highlighting. I would be glad to help
incorporate the mechanism into wxPython so the resultant text control could
leverage the syntax coding files already available for VIM, thus saving
users from having to create a syntax file for proper
c/c++/python/java/asp/tex/whatever.

Matti

RE: [wxPython] Re: Color coding text

Pieter Claerhout-3
I changed my mind, and I used the wxHtmlWindow instead to do the color
coding, and I must say that this is a very handy way. Some of the
advantages for me were:

- Very easy to print files (even in color)
- You can let the user save the documents in HTML, so that they have
  a color coded source file

The only drawbacks of this method are that you can't edit the text live
on the screen and that it's not possible to select and copy text.

Pieter
[hidden email]