[wxPython] RPM users

Robin Dunn
I have a question for those of you who use the Redhat RPM that I create.
Would you rather have the wxPython RPM be dependent on the most recent wxGTK
RPM (using the wxGTK shared library) or have it be statically linked with
wxGTK?

The former will be more modular, but will require you to download both RPM
files.  The latter will result in a larger wxPython RPM but will enable me
to give you exactly what I have in my development environment.

Re: [wxPython] RPM users

harm-3
Robin Dunn wrote:

> I have a question for those of you who use the Redhat RPM that I create.
> Would you rather have the wxPython RPM be dependent on the most recent wxGTK
> RPM (using the wxGTK shared library) or have it be statically linked with
> wxGTK?
>
> The former will be more modular, but will require you to download both RPM
> files.  The latter will result in a larger wxPython RPM but will enable me
> to give you exactly what I have in my development environment.

I don't really understand what the problem is with external gtk libraries.
Isn't making the rpm depend on gtk/gdk/glib >= 1.2 enough so make it work?
I've been using RedHat 6's default gtk rpm's for several months now, and
never got a problem when compiling wxWin/wxPython from cvs. Can you please
explain what extras you use in your development environment that aren't
covered by standard gtk 1.2 libs?

Regards,

Harm

Re: [wxPython] RPM users

Mordy Ovits-2
Robin Dunn wrote:

> I have a question for those of you who use the Redhat RPM that I create.
> Would you rather have the wxPython RPM be dependent on the most recent wxGTK
> RPM (using the wxGTK shared library) or have it be statically linked with
> wxGTK?
>
> The former will be more modular, but will require you to download both RPM
> files.  The latter will result in a larger wxPython RPM but will enable me
> to give you exactly what I have in my development environment.

I much prefer a static link-in of the latest wxGTK.  Your previous RPM
worked wonderfully well, just an RPM -i away.  If you still have
doubts,  it shouldn't be difficult to set up your make to build both
static and dynamically linked wxPython.

BTW, I'm using Redhat 6 with all the updates.

Mordy

Re: [wxPython] RPM users

Harm van der Heijden
On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, [hidden email] wrote:
> I don't really understand what the problem is with external gtk libraries.
> Isn't making the rpm depend on gtk/gdk/glib >= 1.2 enough so make it work?

Ooh, ah, Robin was talking about wxGTK, not gtk. I'll return my
kindergarten reading diploma right now. Please pretend my previous
mail never was :-)

Harm

Re: [wxPython] RPM users

> From: <[hidden email]>
> I don't really understand what the problem is with external gtk libraries.
> Isn't making the rpm depend on gtk/gdk/glib >= 1.2 enough so make it work?
> I've been using RedHat 6's default gtk rpm's for several months now, and
> never got a problem when compiling wxWin/wxPython from cvs. Can you please
> explain what extras you use in your development environment that aren't
> covered by standard gtk 1.2 libs?

I'm refering to the wxWindows for GTK library, not the GTK library itself.
Since wxWindows has a tendancy to change from day to day, I statically
linked it into wxcmodule.so for the RPM's that I have built so far, to help
ensure compatibility.  The reason for my question is to find out people's
preference.  Do you prefer to use the shared library from wxWindows rpm, or
to have it be part of the wxPython rpm?

(Of course, if we can work out all the issues on the spilt-up multi-module
build that you and I are working on then it only makes sense to do it one
way...)

Re: [wxPython] RPM users

Harm van der Heijden
On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, Robin Dunn wrote:

> I'm refering to the wxWindows for GTK library, not the GTK library itself.
> Since wxWindows has a tendancy to change from day to day, I statically
> linked it into wxcmodule.so for the RPM's that I have built so far, to help
> ensure compatibility.  The reason for my question is to find out people's
> preference.  Do you prefer to use the shared library from wxWindows rpm, or
> to have it be part of the wxPython rpm?
>
> (Of course, if we can work out all the issues on the spilt-up multi-module
> build that you and I are working on then it only makes sense to do it one
> way...)

Yes, I very much doubt we can get separate modules working if wxGTK is
statically linked in. OTOH, I can image the headages involved in
getting everything working around somebody else's RPM.

i) You could also add your own shared wxGTK library to the wxPython rpm,
calling it, say, libwx_gtk_py-2.1.so, and adding the swig runtime
object files and helpers.o to it. This would also remove one of the
separate module problems.

ii) Another option is to roll your own wxGTK rpm, and offer it for
download next to the wxPython rpm. Some sort of clever naming scheme
would be needed to avoid conflicts with original wxGTK rpms.

Implementing either of these options cost a fair amount of time, I'd
say. Another problem for people building separate modules is that sooner
or later the include files used in building the original binary distro
will be lost in a storm of cvs changes, so these header files have to
be preserved somehow too, possibly by using a src.rpm that can be used
to also build a devel rpm package.

Considering this and that, I'd be in favour of option i). It's
unfortunate not to be able to build on the work of the wxGTK rpm
author, but I think in this phase of wxwin development it'd be more
pain than gain.

My first idea at implementing this, is to add a script (not unlike the
one in WXWIN/distrib/gtk/do_copy) to collect the wxGTK and wxPython
sources in a tgz file, update the wxPython spec file to also build a
shared wxGTK-py library, and make it able to create wxpython.rpm and
wxpython-devel.rpm packages.

I think I can put a couple of hours tonight into testing the
feasibility of the above. Let me know what you think of it though.

Regards,

Harm

Re: [wxPython] RPM users

Robin Dunn

> i) You could also add your own shared wxGTK library to the wxPython rpm,
> calling it, say, libwx_gtk_py-2.1.so, and adding the swig runtime
> object files and helpers.o to it. This would also remove one of the
> separate module problems.

Yes, I've thought of doing this too.  Shouldn't be too hard, but would be
somewhat redundant if the user has installed the wxGTK rpm too.

> Implementing either of these options cost a fair amount of time, I'd
> say. Another problem for people building separate modules is that sooner
> or later the include files used in building the original binary distro
> will be lost in a storm of cvs changes, so these header files have to
> be preserved somehow too, possibly by using a src.rpm that can be used
> to also build a devel rpm package.

That depends on if the user is tracking CVS changes or is simply using the
wxGTK snapshot releases, (possibly binary only.)  Maybe that should be the
question that I ask:

    If you use wxPython with wxGTK, what is your preference?
        a) wxPython releases should be compatible with the wxGTK
           snapshot releases, and therefore the wxGTK binary RPM
           if applicable for your platform.

        b) wxPython releases should use the latest and greatest
           wxGTK from CVS at the time of the release.  For the
           wxPython binary RPM the wxGTK .so should be included.

Now that I am using VMWare to give me a Linux virtual machine, I am able to
do more back and forth testing between platforms.  Because of this I intend
to check-in changes to CVS more often.  This might make option a) the better
choice for official releases, and for those who are getting wxGTK from CVS
anyway can also get wxPython the same way.

Please let me know your preferences/opinons.

> My first idea at implementing this, is to add a script (not unlike the
> one in WXWIN/distrib/gtk/do_copy) to collect the wxGTK and wxPython
> sources in a tgz file, update the wxPython spec file to also build a
> shared wxGTK-py library, and make it able to create wxpython.rpm and
> wxpython-devel.rpm packages.
>
> I think I can put a couple of hours tonight into testing the
> feasibility of the above. Let me know what you think of it though.

Try it out if you like, but I don't think it would be my first choice unless
there are a lot of preferences to go this route.