[wxPython] Qt based version?

rhicks
Is there a Qt based version in the works?

Bob
pop3.rma.edu

Re: [wxPython] Qt based version?

Robin Dunn
> Is there a Qt based version in the works?

There was a Qt port of wxWindows that got started several months ago, but the
author didn't get very far.  Since then others have talked about picking it
up and finishing it but were scared off by legal issues of the license, even
the new, so-called open license.

If anyoune ever does a Qt port of wxWindows, then I can create a wxPython
version as well.  But until then we're kinda stuck.

Re: [wxPython] Qt based version?

Serge Brisson-2
 > There was a Qt port of wxWindows that got started several months ago,
but the
 > author didn't get very far.  Since then others have talked about picking it
 > up and finishing it but were scared off by legal issues of the license, even
 > the new, so-called open license.

That must be some mean license to scare off from making an interface
to call the Qt library.  Even the Win32 license is not that bad! ;-}

--
Serge Brisson
Internet: [hidden email]

Re: [wxPython] Qt based version?

Robin Dunn
> > There was a Qt port of wxWindows that got started several months ago,
> but the
>  > author didn't get very far.  Since then others have talked about picking
it
>  > up and finishing it but were scared off by legal issues of the license,
even
>  > the new, so-called open license.
>
> That must be some mean license to scare off from making an interface
> to call the Qt library.  Even the Win32 license is not that bad! ;-}

If I remember correctly it was not compatible with the wxWindows license.
Something about wxQT as well as any apps using wxQT would be considered a
"derived work," even if it only dynamically linked with Qt, and so therefore
must have sources freely available.  The wxWindows license allows for apps to
be distributed without source.

You can probably find more details in the wxwin-developers archives at
egroups.

Re: [wxPython] Qt based version?

Chris Barker-4
>> That must be some mean license to scare off from making an interface
>> to call the Qt library.  Even the Win32 license is not that bad! ;-}

>If I remember correctly it was not compatible with the wxWindows license.
>Something about wxQT as well as any apps using wxQT would be considered a
>"derived work," even if it only dynamically linked with Qt, and so therefore
>must have sources freely available.  The wxWindows license allows for apps to
>be distributed without source.

There is some logic to this. Troll Tech doesn't want you to be able to
be able to make and distribute a QT based app without giving them money
unless the app is free (in the freedom sense)

In the case of Win32, the developer doesn't have to give microsoft
money, but no one can run the app unless they have a windows system,
which they have to give money to microsoft to get.

Troll Tech has done the free software comunity a major service by
allowing free software to use QT for free, it seems reasonable enough
that if you want to use QT for a non-free application, that you should
pay for the privilege.

If someone really wanted to do this, they could probably work out a
licence where a WxQT app could only be freely distributed.

The other question is: WHY? QT is also a cross-platform application
framework. If you want QT, use QT!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.

Re: [wxPython] Qt based version?

Robin Dunn

> The other question is: WHY? QT is also a cross-platform application
> framework.

Not really.  It's only X and win32, and the win32 version still costs big $$$
for developers so there is really only 1 platform available for free
software.  Qt leaves out Mac, OS/2, Be, Game Consoles, PDA's, etc. which
wxWindows either currently is, will be, or might be ported to, and if I can
get some funding then wxPython will be too.

> If you want QT, use QT!

But what if you need Qt AND Mac?  That is where wxWindows and wxPython would
come in real handy.

Robin Dunn wrote:
> > The other question is: WHY? QT is also a cross-platform application
> > framework.
>
> Not really.  It's only X and win32, and the win32 version still costs big $$$

Yes, I know. That's very unfortunate. The free software comunnity is
just not the same in the windows world.

> for developers so there is really only 1 platform available for free
> software.  Qt leaves out Mac, OS/2, Be, Game Consoles, PDA's, etc. which
> wxWindows either currently is, will be, or might be ported to, and if I can
> get some funding then wxPython will be too.
>
> > If you want QT, use QT!
> >

> But what if you need Qt AND Mac?  That is where wxWindows and wxPython would
> come in real handy.

Well, I'm still confused why anyone would "need Qt". Qt is an
application framework, not a platform. wxGTK  runs on Xwindows. I
suppose your app won't look like your KDE desktop, but that's never
bothered me, and I'm a big fan of KDE.

Anyway, I need Mac + Linux + Windows, and I'm afraid that I'm still
waiting for the Mac version. As for all those others, they're still
something of a pipe dream, I'm afraid.

By the way, Robin, since you brought up the Mac, and have been talking
about money, what do you suppose it would cost for you to produce (and
support) a Mac version of wxPython? I'm trying to persuade folks here
that Python is the solution to all (well, many anyway) of our problems,
but we're a mostly Mac house, and very GUI centric (even for little text
file utilities). Somehow Tk just doesn't cut it for me, especially on
the Mac. I'm not the least bit sure that I could get funding, but I'd
like to know what it might cost.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.
Water Resources Engineering       ------   @    ------   @   ------   @
Coastal and Fluvial Hydrodynamics -------      ---------     --------

Re: [wxPython] Qt based version?

Robin Dunn

> Well, I'm still confused why anyone would "need Qt".

Sometimes a particular widget set is mandated for a project.  You don't hear
of it much any more but it's still there.    It used to be common that
companies would mandate Motif for everything they produce, and that is why Tk
has a Motif LnF, so developers could sneak it in on the sly...

[wxPython] Mac version of wxPython?

> By the way, Robin, since you brought up the Mac, and have been talking
> about money, what do you suppose it would cost for you to produce (and
> support) a Mac version of wxPython?

Okay, Let me open up this "race" to everybody.  The first person or company
to deliver to my doorstep a PowerMac (used is okay) powerful enough for
software development, and appropriate compiler and other software tools will
win the following prizes:  My undying gratitude and a 1 year full support
contract once the Mac version is in a usable state.  Drivers, start your
engines!

<grin>