[wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

[wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

Gerrit Holl-3
Hello,

I have problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux. I installed
all needed RPMs: wxwin, wxgtk, wxGTK-devel and wxPython.

But when I run it, I get:
>>> import wxPython
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
    import wxc
ImportError: libwx_gtk.so: cannot open shared object file: Onbekend bestand of map

Which RPM should I install for this file?

regards,
Gerrit.

--
Comparison Python GUI's: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/gui.html
Please comment!

RE: [wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

Jan Reimers-2

> ----------

As root do the following:

/sbin/ldconfig -v | grep wx

this will register libwx_gtk.so with the dynamic library loader.  If you get
no output from the command it probably means that the directory containing
libwx_gtk.so is not in you dyn-lib path.  In particular many distributions
don't by default have /usr/local/lib in the dyn-lib path.   Then you have to
edit /etc/ldso.conf  (I don't have my machine handy to check this file name,
but look for /etc/ld*.conf) edit that as root and add a line /usr/local/lib
at the end, and the rerun ldconfig.  To be safe look in usr/local/lib and
make sure there are no garbage lib*.so files sitting.  For example if
someone put a bogus libc.so in there you really trash your system.

JR

> Which RPM should I install for this file?
>
> regards,
> Gerrit.
>
> --
> Comparison Python GUI's: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/gui.html
> Please comment!

Re: [wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

Gerrit Holl-3
<quote name="Jan Reimers" date="951120556">

> > ----------

Hmm, I think I have another problem! I have a file called libwx_gtk2.so, not
libwx_gtk.so. I tried to make a symlink, but now I get this error (*sigh*):
>>> import wxPython.wx
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/wx.py", line 2, in ?
    import wxc
ImportError: /usr/lib/libwxPyHelpers.so: undefined symbol: IsRunning__C7wxTimer

Is this a version problem?

<cut thing="explanation" />
</quote>

regards,
Gerrit.

--
Comparison Python GUI's: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/gui.html
Please comment!

Re: [wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

Robin Dunn
> > this will register libwx_gtk.so with the dynamic library loader.
>
> Hmm, I think I have another problem! I have a file called libwx_gtk2.so,
not
> libwx_gtk.so. I tried to make a symlink, but now I get this error (*sigh*):
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/wx.py", line 2, in ?
>     import wxc
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libwxPyHelpers.so: undefined symbol:
IsRunning__C7wxTimer

> Is this a version problem?

Yes.  What version of wxGTK do you have installed?

RE: [wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

Jan Reimers-2
I suspect this will be a recurring problem with every new WxGTK/wxPython
release.  build.py should check that the version numbers of the installed
wxGTK and the to-be-built wxPython are identical, and issue an informative
error if not.  This will save newbies a lot of time.

JR

> ----------

<quote name="Robin Dunn" date="951133530">

> > Traceback (innermost last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> >   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/wxPython/wx.py", line 2, in ?
> >     import wxc
> > ImportError: /usr/lib/libwxPyHelpers.so: undefined symbol:
> IsRunning__C7wxTimer
> >
> > Is this a version problem?
> >

> Yes.  What version of wxGTK do you have installed?

22:23:44:tty2:root@stopcontact:/usr/local/lib# rpm -q wxgtk wxGTK-devel
wxgtk-2.0.1-36
wxGTK-devel-2.1.13-0

...ah, I think wxgtk should be 2.1.13 too..., am I right!

sleep well,
Gerrit.

--
Comparison Python GUI's: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/gui.html
Please comment!

Re: [wxPython] Problems installing wxPython on Suse Linux

Robin Dunn

> > Yes.  What version of wxGTK do you have installed?
>
> 22:23:44:tty2:root@stopcontact:/usr/local/lib# rpm -q wxgtk wxGTK-devel
> wxgtk-2.0.1-36
> wxGTK-devel-2.1.13-0
>
> ...ah, I think wxgtk should be 2.1.13 too..., am I right!

Yep.