wxPython-Phoenix on Python 3.5 – DLL load failed

wxPython-Phoenix on Python 3.5 – DLL load failed

schyrsivochter
Hello everyone,

I’ve recently updated both Python and wxPython-Phoenix to Python 3.5, as there are official 3.5 builds available now. They’re both 64-bit. Everything works fine until I try importing wx. This is the error message I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>

from wx.core import *

File "C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\core.py", line 6, in <module>

from ._core import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

(Translation: The specified module could not be found. Interesting that it’s in German, though, that means that the error is a Windows error.)
I’ve looked it up and found one with the same problem. Thing is, his mistake was using a 3.4 build with Python 3.5, and people said he should compile it himself to work with Python 3.5. But what do I do if even the official 3.5 build doesn’t work? I do not have the knowledge nor the means to build wxPython-Phoenix.

My computer is running Windows 10, and the 3.4 version of wxPython-Phoenix worked perfectly fine.

Have I been doing anything wrong?

Re: wxPython-Phoenix on Python 3.5 – DLL load failed

Vlastimil Brom

> Hello everyone,
>
> I’ve recently updated both Python and wxPython-Phoenix to Python 3.5, as
> there are official 3.5 builds available now. They’re both 64-bit. Everything
> works fine until I try importing wx. This is the error message I get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17,
> in <module>
>     from wx.core import *
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\core.py", line 6, in
> <module>
>     from ._core import *
> ImportError: DLL load failed: Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>
> (Translation: The specified module could not be found. Interesting that it’s
> in German, though, that means that the error is a Windows error.)
> I’ve looked it up and found one with the same problem. Thing is, his mistake
> was using a 3.4 build with Python 3.5, and people said he should compile it
> himself to work with Python 3.5. But what do I do if even the official 3.5
> build doesn’t work? I do not have the knowledge nor the means to build
> wxPython-Phoenix.
>
> My computer is running Windows 10, and the 3.4 version of wxPython-Phoenix
> worked perfectly fine.
>
> Have I been doing anything wrong?

this looks like a similar problem to what I encountered some time ago
- cf. the respective posts in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wxpython-users/XQyUng_-KP8
basically,there was missing an important dll file ( MSVCP140.DLL in my
case) - but this was on win7, hence the solution might be different on
your system.

hth,
  vbr

Re: wxPython-Phoenix on Python 3.5 – DLL load failed

Vlastimil Brom

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I’ve recently updated both Python and wxPython-Phoenix to Python 3.5, as
>> there are official 3.5 builds available now. They’re both 64-bit. Everything
>> works fine until I try importing wx. This is the error message I get:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py", line 17,
>> in <module>
>>     from wx.core import *
>>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\core.py", line 6, in
>> <module>
>>     from ._core import *
>> ImportError: DLL load failed: Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>>
>> (Translation: The specified module could not be found. Interesting that it’s
>> in German, though, that means that the error is a Windows error.)
>> I’ve looked it up and found one with the same problem. Thing is, his mistake
>> was using a 3.4 build with Python 3.5, and people said he should compile it
>> himself to work with Python 3.5. But what do I do if even the official 3.5
>> build doesn’t work? I do not have the knowledge nor the means to build
>> wxPython-Phoenix.
>>
>> My computer is running Windows 10, and the 3.4 version of wxPython-Phoenix
>> worked perfectly fine.
>>
>> Have I been doing anything wrong?
>>
>> --
[I am sorry, it seems the link has been somehow mangled in the previous post]
Hi,

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wxpython-users/XQyUng_-KP8/2hvnCkF0AAAJ

 basically,there was missing an important dll file ( MSVCP140.DLL in my
 case) - but this was on win7, hence the solution might be different on
 your system.

 hth,
   vbr

Re: wxPython-Phoenix on Python 3.5 – DLL load failed

GadgetSteve

On 10/04/2016 14:34, schyrsivochter wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I’ve recently updated both Python and wxPython-Phoenix to Python 3.5, as
> there are official 3.5 builds available now. They’re both 64-bit.
> Everything works fine until I try importing wx. This is the error
> message I get:
>

> Traceback(most recent call last):
>   File"<stdin>",line 1,in<module>
>   File"C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\__init__.py",line
> 17,in<module>
>     fromwx.core import*
>   File"C:\Program Files\Python\lib\site-packages\wx\core.py",line
> 6,in<module>
>     from._core import*
> ImportError:DLL load failed:Dasangegebene Modulwurde nicht gefunden.
> |

> (Translation: The specified module could not be found. Interesting that
> it’s in German, though, that means that the error is a Windows error.)
> I’ve looked it up and found one with the same problem.
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/wxpython-users/python$203.5/wxpython-users/OlOeXY0asPc/Rq9tO-c7BQAJ>
> Thing is, his mistake was using a 3.4 build with Python 3.5, and people
> said he should compile it himself to work with Python 3.5. But what do I
> do if even the official 3.5 build doesn’t work? I do not have the
> knowledge nor the means to build wxPython-Phoenix.
>
> My computer is running Windows 10, and the 3.4 version of
> wxPython-Phoenix worked perfectly fine.
>
> Have I been doing anything wrong?

It might help to know _Exactly_ which wxPython-Phoenix build you
installed but this sort of thing is often due to the lack of installing
the MS Visual Studio re-distributable that matches the version of Visual
Studio that the library was built with.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.