[wxPython] More Gdk (x-io) errors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[wxPython] More Gdk (x-io) errors

Winslow Williams
Hi,

I'm just trying out wxPython and it looks great except for the following:

When I run the demo app, I click past the splash screen and the main window pops up, but if I move the mouse for a few seconds, it disappears with the message:

Gdk-ERROR **: Fatal IO Error  0 (Success) on X server :0.0.

My platform is the following:

Redhat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36)
Python 1.5.2 (#1, Feb 7 2000, 09:12:43) (GCC 2.7.2.3) on linux2
glib 1.2.6
gtk+ 1.2.6
wxGTK 2.1.13
wxPython 2.1.13

I noticed in the mailing list archives that someone else had this problem and fixed (?) it by returning
to gtk+ 1.2.6, but I'm already there. I can run the wxGTK demos without problems. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Winslow Williams


_______________________________________________
wxPython-users maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/wxpython-users



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [wxPython] More Gdk (x-io) errors

Jan Reimers-2


> ----------
> From: Winslow Williams[SMTP:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2000 3:28 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [wxPython] More Gdk (x-io) errors
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying out wxPython and it looks great except for the following:
>
> When I run the demo app, I click past the splash screen and the main
> window pops up, but if I move the mouse for a few seconds, it disappears
> with the message:
>
> Gdk-ERROR **: Fatal IO Error  0 (Success) on X server :0.0.
This is exactly the message that I get, except that on my machine I get this
right away, before any windows pop up.  I have seen this on a RH 5.1/2.2
kernel machine at home, and also on a RH 5.2/2.0 kernel machine here at
work.  Both had glib/gtk/gdk version 1.2.6 and wxGTK/wxPython version
2.1.13.  everything built with gcc 2.95.  Rebuilding wxGTK and wxPython with
-fno-strict-aliasing and threads disabled did not help.

> My platform is the following:
>
> Redhat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36)
> Python 1.5.2 (#1, Feb 7 2000, 09:12:43) (GCC 2.7.2.3) on linux2
> glib 1.2.6
> gtk+ 1.2.6
> wxGTK 2.1.13
> wxPython 2.1.13
presumably this is a glibc 2.0.7 system.

> I noticed in the mailing list archives that someone else had this problem
> and fixed (?) it by returning
> to gtk+ 1.2.6, but I'm already there.
I was surprised to hear that this alone fixed the problem for Mr. Bannai.
His has given me his setup by private email:
Linux with a 2.0.36 kernel.
gtk-1.2.7, wxGtk-2.1.3, wxPython-2.1.3
Compiled from source with egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
Python 1.5.1 (#1, Sep  3 1998, 22:51:17)  [GCC 2.7.2.3] on linux-i386
GNU libc 2.0.7
I would encourage Mr. Bannai to inform the list if he still encounters
problems.

--

> I can run the wxGTK demos without problems.
Same here.  Note that there is no dynamic loading going on for these demos.
> Any ideas?
I am experiencing more general problems dynamically loading lib[whatever].so
modules whenever lib[whatever].so is linked against libwx_gtk.so.  So for
example

g++ -shared -o libfoo.so foo.o -lwx_gtk
g++ -shared -o libbar.so foo.o

where foo.o does some IO but need not make any reference to wx symbols.
Dynamically loading libbar.so (from python or whatever) results in no
runtime problems.  Dynamically loading libfoo.so results in segfaults, or a
hung program!  It appears as though there is something broken in binutils or
glibc on these older RH 5.{1,2} systems.

Is anyone else out there running wxPython with no problems on a glibc 2.0.7,
or a red hat 5.{1,2} system?  If so could you supply your other system specs
so I can narrow this down.

> Thanks,
>
> Winslow Williams
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> wxPython-users maillist  -  [hidden email]
> http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/wxpython-users
>

_______________________________________________
wxPython-users maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/wxpython-users