[wxPython] IDE/editor

Tom Fenn-2
What are people using for a development environment on Windows?  I'm trying
out
IDLE and Pythonwin, but have run into an irritation:  When my wxPython code
is incorrect (which is often right now), after editing I get an "only 1
wxApp per process" error message when I rerun the program.  Anyone know what
I'm doing wrong, how to work around this, or a better environment on
Windows?

Tom Fenn

Re: [wxPython] IDE/editor

Robin Dunn
> What are people using for a development environment on Windows?  I'm
trying
> out
> IDLE and Pythonwin, but have run into an irritation:  When my wxPython
code
> is incorrect (which is often right now), after editing I get an "only 1
> wxApp per process" error message when I rerun the program.  Anyone know
what
> I'm doing wrong, how to work around this, or a better environment on
> Windows?

I'm currently using emacs, it's free.
(http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html) IMO, you can't
beat it for pure editing capabilities.  Add to that the ability to run the
Python debugger within the editor.  Unfortunately the configuration/macro
language is lisp so it is a little brain-damaging to be able to become real
effective with it.  If anybody wants it I can zip up my .emacs and site-lisp
directories and you can then start with the configuration that I use.

I've used Multi-Edit (http://www.multiedit.com/) in the past, ($129.)  Also
a very good editor.  It doesn't support Python syntax-highlighting and such
out of the box (at least then) but it was easy to add.  It is also very
excellent for editing HTML.  The macro language is very similar to C, and so
it is very easy to extend.  I think it can also be extended with DLLs that
you create yourself in whatever language.  I must admit that there are a few
features of ME that emacs doesn't do (and that would be too complex for me
to do in lisp) that I miss a bit now and then.

I've heard good things about CodeWright, http://www.premia.com. ($299)  It
supports Python out of the box.  So does Zeus, http://www.zeusedit.com/
($95) but I havn't used either of them.  (I was just verifying the zeus web
page and noticed that they have a pluggable scripting engine and Python is
one that is supported!!  I guess I should to take a closer look at it
now...)

Re: [wxPython] IDE/editor

Fred Pacquier-2
From:           "Robin Dunn" <[hidden email]>

> I'm currently using emacs, it's free.
> (http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html) IMO, you
> can't beat it for pure editing capabilities.  Add to that the ability
> to run the Python debugger within the editor.  Unfortunately the
> configuration/macro language is lisp so it is a little brain-damaging
> to be able to become real effective with it.  If anybody wants it I
> can zip up my .emacs and site-lisp directories and you can then start
> with the configuration that I use.

For the emacs-challenged-but-Unix-bred, VIM was mentioned a
while ago on the Python newsgroups. If you've never touched the
original VI this may not be for you, but otherwise it looks like a great
improvement. And yes, it has syntax-highlight, launching
capabilities, macros, and is crossplatform :)