[wxPython] Help! My GTK hates me ...

Matt Gushee
Hi, Folks--

Well, I just installed wxWindows and wxPython the other day. But when
I try to run a wxPython program (including the demos), I get the
following:

    GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 500.

    Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
    aborting...

Note that this doesn't happen with the wxGTK demos, so it appears to
be wxPython-specific.

Also, the 'getpwuid_r()' error goes away if I run the program as root,
which sort of makes sense, but the x io error remains.

Here's my setup:

       Red Hat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36, glibc 2.0.7)
       egcs 2.90.29
       XFree86 3.3.3.1 (Japanese distribution patched for
         TrueType font support)
       GTK/Glib 1.2.3
       wxGTK 2.1.11 (built from SRPM, installed under /usr)
       wxPython 2.1.11 (built from tarball, installed under
         /usr/local)

So, anybody have an idea what's wrong here? I'm eager to try this
wonderful wxPython that everybody's raving about, but I'm not getting
very far this way.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA