[wxPython] Freezing problem

Lorne-2
I wanted to share a solution to a problem when using the "Freeze" module.

I was having a terrible time trying to figure out why my frozen version of a
wxPython based program would run in console mode but not windows mode i.e.
launch without a console.

I stumbled on the issue when working with the python modules themselves when a
"print" statement caused my program not to run.  So I cleaned up my code to get
rid of any signs of a print statement.

Things still wouldn't run with the frozen version, so I isolated the module
that shut things down, and there it was, another print statement in an external
lib module that caused me grief.

Just to let you know, the freeze module is very good at finding all the
dependencies.  I'm using everything under the sun ... the calldll, odbc,
wincom, etc. to get the job done for a win32 specific implementation.

All works fine with wxPython doing the GUI and some registry work.

Lorne White

RE: [wxPython] Freezing problem

Pieter Claerhout-3
Hello,

is there somewhere on the web documentation available on how
to freeze wxPython apps on Windows? I have Visual C++ 6.0
installed on my machine, but I have never compiled a program
before. I always used the Python installer from Gordon McMillan
but now I want to try it using the freeze script.

What I want to know is:
- what do I need??
- how do you make it works??

Thanks,

Pieter

Pieter Claerhout - [hidden email]
Response Center - Applications Support

Creo Europe - Excelsiorlaan 21 - 1930 Zaventem - Belgium

Re: [wxPython] Freezing problem

Markus Gritsch
[Pieter]

>Hello,
>
>is there somewhere on the web documentation available on how
>to freeze wxPython apps on Windows? I have Visual C++ 6.0
>installed on my machine, but I have never compiled a program
>before. I always used the Python installer from Gordon McMillan
>but now I want to try it using the freeze script.
>
>What I want to know is:
>- what do I need??
>- how do you make it works??

Maybe you want to have a look at
http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/distribute.html

Be well,
Markus

Re: [wxPython] Freezing problem

> is there somewhere on the web documentation available on how
> to freeze wxPython apps on Windows? I have Visual C++ 6.0
> installed on my machine, but I have never compiled a program
> before. I always used the Python installer from Gordon McMillan
> but now I want to try it using the freeze script.
>
> What I want to know is:
> - what do I need??
> - how do you make it works??

It's been a (long) while since I've used freeze but IIRC, the main docs for
freeze are in freeze.py itself.  All you should need to do is run freeze on
your main .py file and then compile the .c files it produces.  The makefile
it produces should be usable on windows too, just type nmake and let it go.

If that doesn't work then try searching at deja.com for past newsgroup
articles about using freeze on win32.