[wxPython] Enclosures Getting Mangled

Chris Barker-4
Hi all,

I've been haviong a problem with enclosed Python Code getting mangled on
the list.

I get the digest, and am reading it with Netscape under Linux. Pehaps no
one else has a problem, but I get the following errors on some
enclosures (most recently one of Robins):

"=" turns into =3D

and long lines are wrapped, with an "=" added to the end of the line
before the wrap.

I can usually fix these things easily with a few search and replaces,
but occasionally it's been enough of a mess that I've given up.

Perhaps we could all cut-and-paste code into the message, rather than
using enclosures, it might be more reliable.

-Thanks, Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.

RE: [wxPython] Enclosures Getting Mangled

Mike  Fletcher
Robin's machine states that Python is plain text, so the text gets quoted
(my machine, in contrast, seems to think that Python code is binary data).
To automagically un-quote Robin's posts, something like the following works
quite nicely (after saving the text to a file)...

import mimetools
mimetools.decode(
        open("z:\\temp\\temp.py"),
        open("z:\\temp\\qptest.py","w"),
        "quoted-printable"
)

Copying the code into the message has a host of ways of mucking it up, of
course :) .

HTH,
Mike

Re: [wxPython] Enclosures Getting Mangled

> Hi all,
>
> I've been haviong a problem with enclosed Python Code getting mangled on
> the list.
>
> I get the digest, and am reading it with Netscape under Linux. Pehaps no
> one else has a problem, but I get the following errors on some
> enclosures (most recently one of Robins):
>
> "=" turns into =3D
>
> and long lines are wrapped, with an "=" added to the end of the line
> before the wrap.

That's a standard mime encoding for attachemnts, but the digest messages
simply append all the text together.  Just copy/pasting code into a message
has problems too as some mailers will eat leading tabs or will wrap long
lines, so attachments work best for me.

There is another digest option you can try that will bundle all messages as
separate mime attachments.  You can go to
http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/wxpython-users and change your
digest  settings and see if it helps.  If not and getting properly formatted
code is importanto to you I would suggest turning off digest delivery and
simply filtering incoming mail from the list into a separate folder.