[wxPython] Documentation.

Chris Barker-4
Hi all,

I've been quite frustrated with the documentation situation as well, but
this is a free software project, so something only gets done if someone
chooses to do it.

someone wrote:
> I can tell that wxPython would like to overtake tkinter, but without the
> documentation, there is no chance.

I'm not sure wxPython wants to "take over" anything. There are simply a
lot of folks that think it's a better way to write GUIs for Python.

That being said, I would like to see wxPython be more widely adopted,
because it would get more support that way. (Maybe a MAC port?)

Anyway, I'd like to see a few things:

1: A document explaining how to translate the C++ docs to Python. Those
of us that don't know C++ have a hard time with it. My apologies if this
already exists, but I haven't found it.

2: More annotation in the Demos. The demo app is great, and is what I'm
using for documentation, but it would be even better with more
annotation.

3: A wxPython Documentation project: As Robin mentioned, a number of
people have set out to write tutorials, but haven't managed to finish
the project. I suggest that there be some central coordination of these
efforts. If each of us were to write a little tutorial for some widget,
as we figure out how to use it, and these were all put together, we'd
have a pretty nice introduction.

I am not qualified to do either (1) or (2), but I could be a central
coordinator for (3) if people think it's a good idea. Let me know what
you all think, and if anyone else wants to be involved in helping out. I
can imagine a number of separate tasks that could be split up, so with a
handful of people putting in a little time, we could make it happen.

Let me know what you think.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.

Re: [wxPython] Documentation.

Lars Marius Garshol

* Chris Barker

| I am not qualified to do either (1) or (2), but I could be a central
| coordinator for (3) if people think it's a good idea.

Sounds good to me.

One thing that should be done as part of this would be to define some
sort of format to write the documentation in. The question is what
that should be. Would an XML DTD require too much work?

| Let me know what you all think, and if anyone else wants to be
| involved in helping out.

I would like to, but I'm unsure of whether I would actually be able
to.

--Lars M.

Re: [wxPython] Documentation.

Nicolas Chauvat-2
On 9 Mar 2000, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> One thing that should be done as part of this would be to define some
> sort of format to write the documentation in. The question is what
> that should be. Would an XML DTD require too much work?

The sgml DTDs Linuxdoc and Docbook are meant exactly for that. Take look
at the Linux Documentation Project (www.linuxdoc.org), the sgml tools
(www.sgmltools.com), jade, etc.

-- Nicolas

 (o-  Hi, I'm a deadly e-mail virus, please copy me into your .signature
 /\   file to help me spread. :: Bonjour, je suis un dangereux virus. SVP
Y_/_  copiez-moi dans votre fichier .signature pour m'aider à me propager.