[wxPython] Document/View Interface

Ken Seehof-2
What is the current status of the Document/View interface?

- Ken Seehof <[hidden email]>

Re: [wxPython] Document/View Interface

Robin Dunn
> What is the current status of the Document/View interface?

It hasn't been wrapped into wxPython yet.  I'd like to get it done sometime
but I'm not going to say when or even that it will be soon because everytime
I say that something comes up that causes me to push it further down my todo
list.

There are a couple alternatives to waiting for me to do it:

1. Somebody with some C++/SWIG/Python-Extension skills (or who wants to
learn) could take on the task of creating the wrappers for just the doc/view
classes like Harm did for wxHTML.  If so, contact me and I can point you in
the right directions.

2. It might be just as easy or easier (and will certainly be simpler at
runtime) to reimplement the Doc/View classes in 100% python instead of an
extension module.  The C++ classes don't do anything special and just use the
core wxWindows capabilities, so there is no reason to wrap the C++ classes
other than the fact that they are already there.

If somebody were to do a python version of Doc/View and contribute it to the
project I'd gladly take it in.  My one constraint is that I would want it to
follow the current documentation for the Doc/View classes as closly as
possible, even if there are better ways to do it.  The better ways can be
done in a set of derived classes in the library if desired.

RE: [wxPython] Document/View Interface

Yanko, Curtis (GSP)
I've started a pyAFX project on Source Forge (thanks for pointing that site
out Cliff!). I will be taking the pure python approach in lieu of the
C++/SWIG... approach.

Before I just go and imitate the MFC implementation I want to see how it
compares to the Observer pattern (Gamma et al). I also want to see if I can
also include a MVC model in the same framework so people can choose.

Hopefully this effort will result in something worth adding to wxPython.

-Curtis Yanko