[wxPython] Database support

Bill Barnes-3

Hi y'all.

The database is question is DBMaker.  It has an ODBC package.
Scanned archives from December.  Not a single reference regarding retrieval and update
of a database.  Surely that is one of the uses of GUI.

Can't see how to do it from all of the wxPython documentation.
Please help with a link or a pointer to the documents.

TIA
Bill Barnes

Re: [wxPython] Database support

Robin Dunn

> The database is question is DBMaker.  It has an ODBC package.
> Scanned archives from December.  Not a single reference regarding retrieval
and update
> of a database.  Surely that is one of the uses of GUI.

Sure it is, but it's not within the domain of wxPython, which is just a GUI
toolkit.  Python has several ways to access databases that will work just
fine with wxPython.  I'd suggest poking around on www.python.org,
starship.python.net, or asking in comp.lang.python.

RE: [wxPython] Database support

Mike  Fletcher
I think Bill is wanting one of the VB-style data-view controls.  They are
really nice features of the enterprise data objects VB environment that let
you do simple (or even complex!) database stuff just by dropping controls
onto your forms and telling them to which database to connect. Very nice
approach, but I'd think someone would have to be paid to go through the
tedium of writing the thing for wxPython (but then I think anything with SQL
is tedium, so if someone likes SQL, feel free to jump right in :) ).

You could, of course, do the work for a given database by setting up a
wxGrid and doing ODBC calls directly in the callback, but that's hardly
going to be reusable code.  You really need the abstraction layer for
dealing with any database, and support for standard data-types in-cell (oh,
you also want controls for choosing among values of an enumeration in-cell,
and other standard database-manipulation features).

Enjoy,
Mike