[wxPython] Catching key events in wxGrid

[wxPython] Catching key events in wxGrid

Sean Mc Grath
I am having problems catching keyboard events from
within a wxGrid.

I searched the archives and came across a message
that looks promising 1999-December
        [wxPython] Key control in wxGrid Robin Dunn

However when I following the link:

http://starship.python.net/pipermail/wxpython-users/1999-December/001217.html

I get to a message from Gordon Williams
        "[wxPython] Radio button in button form?"

Two questions:-
1) Anyone know how to catch keyboard events in a wxGRID
2) Is there something amiss with the wxPython archives?

regards,

http://www.pyxie.org - an Open Source XML Processing library for Python

Re: [wxPython] Catching key events in wxGrid

Gregory Landrum
At 06:10 PM 1/4/00 +0000, Sean McGrath wrote:
>Two questions:-
>1) Anyone know how to catch keyboard events in a wxGRID

I have more or less made it work by turning off all editing
capabilities in the grid. (i.e. no cell editing, no editing
line at the top)
It still sometimes doesn't work when the scrollbars are active,
but it seems to go most of the time.

-greg

----
Greg Landrum, Ph.D.              [hidden email]
Sr. Research Scientist      Dupont Pharmaceutical Research Lab
  These are my views, not necessarily those of my employer.

Re: [wxPython] Catching key events in wxGrid

> I get to a message from Gordon Williams
> "[wxPython] Radio button in button form?"

The message you are looking for isn't very helpful:

    Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:55:29 -0800
    From: Robin Dunn kp.km.ua!alldunn.com![hidden email]
    Subject: [wxPython] Key control in wxGrid

    > Tell me please about key control in wxGrid,

    I don't think the current wxGrid has any keyboard handling at all.
    The new one will though.

    > and what about kill editor upon a grid in wxGrid.

    What's a kill editor?

> Two questions:-
> 1) Anyone know how to catch keyboard events in a wxGRID

You can either use EVT_KEY_DOWN, EVT_KEY_UP, or EVT_CHAR.  Be aware however
that currently on MSW if your grid (or any window with an EVT_CHAR) is in a
dialog or panel then its tab traversal handler will eat all the char events
unless you give the grid a wxWANTS_CHARS style.  I hope this will be fixed
soon.

> 2) Is there something amiss with the wxPython archives?

Looks like there is.  The message before is hooked to itself.  Might have
something to do with the strange From: header.

[wxPython] Project/workspace files for VC6?

Gregory Landrum

Hi all,

I desparately need to build a debugging version of the wxPython stuff under
VisualC++ 6.0.

I've got debugging versions of wxWindows working just fine (they include
project files and workspaces as part of the distribution), but I just can
not make wxPython build.  The distribution includes neither project files
nor workspaces, the instructions to build from makefiles don't work for
me (error message:
d:/wxWindows\src\makevc.env(8) : fatal error U1052: file 'ntwin32.mak' not
found
), the build instructions have bewildered me, and I'm just generally
frustrated.

I'd *really* like a VC workspace and some project files so that I can
do everything from within the IDE (not that I like the IDE, but at least
there I know which magic invocations are required to do what I want)...
anyone have something like this handy?

Thanks a million in advance,
-greg

----
Greg Landrum, Ph.D.              [hidden email]
Sr. Research Scientist      Dupont Pharmaceutical Research Lab
  These are my views, not necessarily those of my employer.

Re: [wxPython] Project/workspace files for VC6?

Robin Dunn
> I've got debugging versions of wxWindows working just fine (they include
> project files and workspaces as part of the distribution), but I just can
> not make wxPython build.  The distribution includes neither project files
> nor workspaces, the instructions to build from makefiles don't work for
> me (error message:
> d:/wxWindows\src\makevc.env(8) : fatal error U1052: file 'ntwin32.mak' not
> found
> ), the build instructions have bewildered me, and I'm just generally
> frustrated.

If you are on Win95/98 then when you installed VC it probably created a batch
file that sets a bunch of environment variables.  These are needed for the
command line tools to find their stuff.  I can't remember the name of the
batch file (they don't use it on NT but just put the stuff in the system
environment directly) but I think it was something like VCVARS.bat.  Check in
your .../VC98/bin directory.

Once you set those variables then nmake should work fine.

> I'd *really* like a VC workspace and some project files so that I can
> do everything from within the IDE (not that I like the IDE, but at least
> there I know which magic invocations are required to do what I want)...
> anyone have something like this handy?

I don't use the IDE, except for debugging.  (I find that it just gets in the
way the rest of the time.)  So the only project files I have are "Makefile
Projects" with just enough info to run the debugger.

BTW, wxPython's build.py expects to find the wxWindows library and DLL the
way that wxWindows' makefile makes them.  I think that the workspace names
them differently.  So you may either have to rename the files, tweak
build.py, or build wxWindows via the makefiles.  To do so just go to
wxWindows/src/msw and run "nmake -f makefile.vc dll pch"  (I actually use
"nmake -f makefile.vc CRTFLAG=/MD EXTRAFLAGS=-D__NO_VC_CRTDBG__ dll pch" but
YMMV.)