[wxPython] Better images on 8bit dislays?

[wxPython] Better images on 8bit dislays?

rdudfield
First thanks for wxPython it's great :)

I was wondering how to display 8 bit images so they look better on an 8 bit display.

My code is very similar to the demo.

I've tried saving as gif, and png with no luck.  Also tried saving the images with 128 colours, same problem.

Thanks for any help.

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--

Re: [wxPython] Better images on 8bit dislays?

Robin Dunn
> First thanks for wxPython it's great :)

You're welcome.

> I was wondering how to display 8 bit images so they look better on an 8 bit
display.

> My code is very similar to the demo.
>
> I've tried saving as gif, and png with no luck.  Also tried saving the
images with 128 colours, same problem.

wxWindows does very simple colour reduction/mapping to 8-bit display modes
and doesn't do any intelligent dithering to the current display pallete...
Maybe PIL can help?

Re: [wxPython] Better images on 8bit dislays?

Fredrik Lundh-3
Robin Dunn wrote:
> wxWindows does very simple colour reduction/mapping to 8-bit display modes
> and doesn't do any intelligent dithering to the current display pallete...
> Maybe PIL can help?

possibly.  an "ImageWx" module (similar to ImageTk and
ImageWin) is on my todo list, but I don't have much time
to spend on it right now :-(

has anyone else done any PIL/wxPython integration work?

if you have experiences to share (or maybe even code?),
drop me a line.

</F>

Re: [wxPython] Better images on 8bit dislays?

> I was wondering how to display 8 bit images so they look better on an 8 bit
display.

> My code is very similar to the demo.
>
> I've tried saving as gif, and png with no luck.  Also tried saving the
images with 128 colours, same problem.

I forwarded your questions to the wxWin team to try and get some help.  Here
are some questions they have for you: