[wxPython] And the winner is wxPython 2.1.4 !!!

[wxPython] And the winner is wxPython 2.1.4 !!!

Cristian Echeverria-2
Ok, ...the war is over...
I have almost 3 year using Tkinter and I know it very well, but with tears in my eyes
I have to say that wxPython rules.
I am going to keep Tkinter anyway, at leat to run my old app and idle (Guido deserves this),
but all my serios work will be developed using wxPython.

Thanks Robin, this is really wonderful world.

well, some comments to the new release

1.- I noted the b (for beta) is not there.

2.- The file htmlhelp.py imports htmlhelpc, but this is not in the distribution.
     what is wxHtmlHelpController???.

3.- I also detected the wxHtmlWindow demo problem with the IMAGEMAPS link.
    when I clicked python broked.

4.- In SlashDot.py, line 231 said
     >> self.list.SetSingleStyle(wxLC_REPORT)
     I think this is not considered in Win95, because wxListCtrl appears in Icon Mode
     I replaced line 230 in this way:
     >> self.list = wxListCtrl(self, 1100, style = wxLC_REPORT)
     and all worked fine.

wxHTML is really great. wxPython widgets inside HTML...Wow!!

CER

Re: [wxPython] And the winner is wxPython 2.1.4 !!!

Robin Dunn
> Ok, ...the war is over...
> I have almost 3 year using Tkinter and I know it very well, but
> with tears in my eyes
> I have to say that wxPython rules.

Cool!  One down, one hundred thousand to go!  <grin>

> well, some comments to the new release
>
> 1.- I noted the b (for beta) is not there.

Yep.  I originally planned on leaving it there until I felt that wxPython
was "done" but have finally woken up to the fact that it probably never will
be completely finished.  There are always new things to be added.

Please note however that the wxWindows group recently voted to adopt the
Linux kernal numbering scheme where an odd number in the second position
means unstable release and an even number means a stable release.  I will be
doing the same for wxPython, and I will syncronize my 2.2.0 with theirs.
Version 2.2.0 will probably happen at the end of the year or there abouts.

On the other hand, other than the few minor glitches that have been reported
today I feel that 2.1.4 is fairly stable and extreamly useful.

> 2.- The file htmlhelp.py imports htmlhelpc, but this is not in the
distribution.
>      what is wxHtmlHelpController???.

RTFM!  <evil-grin>  wxHtmlHelpController is a window that looks like MS's
HTMLHelp viewer, with a treeview on the left and the help window on the
right.  The htmlhelpc module is actually linked in with htmlc, just like
misc2c, sizersc, and etc. are linked in with wxc.  if you are getting an
import error on htmlhelpc then justbe sure that wxPython.html is imported
first.

> 3.- I also detected the wxHtmlWindow demo problem with the IMAGEMAPS link.
>     when I clicked python broked.

Yep.

> 4.- In SlashDot.py, line 231 said
>      >> self.list.SetSingleStyle(wxLC_REPORT)
>      I think this is not considered in Win95, because wxListCtrl appears
in Icon Mode
>      I replaced line 230 in this way:
>      >> self.list = wxListCtrl(self, 1100, style = wxLC_REPORT)
>      and all worked fine.

Okay, thanks!

> wxHTML is really great. wxPython widgets inside HTML...Wow!!

Yep, I even impressed myself on that one!  (But it was Harm's idea.)

Re: [wxPython] And the winner is wxPython 2.1.4 !!!

alexander smishlajev-3
Robin Dunn wrote:

> > Ok, ...the war is over...
> > I have almost 3 year using Tkinter and I know it very well, but
> > with tears in my eyes
> > I have to say that wxPython rules.
>
> Cool!  One down, one hundred thousand to go!  <grin>

count me in.  i have switched from perl language (with several years of
experience and much better database interfaces) because of your
library.  before finding wxPython, i have considered wxWindows and Qt
toolkits, but using c++ would be much more difficult task for my
programmers (and probably for myself also).

> On the other hand, other than the few minor glitches that have been reported
> today I feel that 2.1.4 is fairly stable and extreamly useful.

i have met a thing that was not mentioned yet.  misc.py uses
wxWindowPtr, wxMenuBarPtr, wxBitmapPtr, wxIconPtr, wxFontPtr and
wxColourPtr, that are not known there and raise NameError.

thanks again,
alex.

Re: [wxPython] And the winner is wxPython 2.1.4 !!!

Robin Dunn

> > On the other hand, other than the few minor glitches that have been
reported
> > today I feel that 2.1.4 is fairly stable and extreamly useful.
>
> i have met a thing that was not mentioned yet.  misc.py uses
> wxWindowPtr, wxMenuBarPtr, wxBitmapPtr, wxIconPtr, wxFontPtr and
> wxColourPtr, that are not known there and raise NameError.

Okay, thanks.