wxPython 4.0.0a3

Robin Dunn
Announcing wxPython 4.0.0a3
===========================

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wxPython/4.0.0a3

Changes
-------

Fixed a few cases where the GIL was not acquired before building
tuples of values. The problems associated with this (hangs or crashes)
were sporadic and seemingly random, and did not appear until there was
a background thread that was very busy. Running under a debug build of
Python revealed the problem almost immediately. Yay Python!

Return an integer value from wx.DC.GetHandle instead of a wrapped
voidptr object, similar to how it is done for wx.Window.GetHandle.

Make wx.TreeItemID hashable, with meaningful hash value and equality
operators, so it can be used as a dictionary key in Py3.

Fixed crash in wx.grid.GridTable.GetAttr, and potentially other cases
of classes derived from wx.RefCounter.

Add ShowPage and IsRunning methods to wx.adv.Wizard.

Fixed various GTK specific bugs and other cleanup in wx.lib.agw.aui.

Updated to SIP 4.19.2

Restored builders for Python 3.4 to the buildbot.

Restore the wrappers for GetPaperSize and SetPaperSize to
wx.PrintData.

Fix crashing problem when a wx.TreeItemId was compared with None.

Fix for missing checkbox images in CheckListCtrlMixin on Linux and
OSX.

Fix another crashing problem in propgrid, and a few other propgrid
issues too.

The release version of the documentation can now be found at
https://docs.wxPython.org/ The documentation created during the
snapshot builds is still located at https://wxPython.org/Phoenix/docs/html

What is wxPython?
-----------------

wxPython is a cross-platform GUI toolkit for the Python programming
language.  It allows Python programmers to create programs with a
robust, highly functional graphical user interface, simply and
easily. It is implemented as a set of Python extension modules that
wrap the GUI components of the popular wxWidgets cross platform
library, which is written in C++. Supported platforms are Microsoft
Windows, Mac OS X and macOS, and Linux or other unix-like systems with
GTK2 or GTK3 libraries. In most cases the native widgets are used on
each platform to provide a 100% native look and feel for the
application.

What is wxPython Phoenix?
-------------------------

wxPython's Project Phoenix is a new from-the-ground-up implementation
of wxPython, created with the intent of making wxPython “better,
stronger, faster than he was before.” In other words, this new
implementation is focused on improving speed, maintainability and
extensibility of wxPython, as well as removing most of the cruft that
had accumulated over the long life of Classic wxPython.

The project has been in development off and on, mostly behind the
scenes, for many years. For the past few years automated snapshot
builds have been available for those adventurous enough to try it, and
many people eventually started using the snapshots in their projects,
even for production releases.  While there are still some things on
the periphery that need to be completed, the core of the new wxPython
extension modules which wrap the wxWidgets code has been stable for a
long time now.

Due to some things being cleaned up, reorganized, simplified and
dehackified wxPython Phoenix is not completely backwards compatible
with wxPython Classic.  This is intended. In general, however, the API
differences tend to be minor and some applications can use Phoenix
with slight, or even no modifications.  In some other cases the
correct way to do things was also available in Classic and it's only
the wrong way that has been removed from Phoenix.  For more
information there is a Migration Guide document available at:
https://docs.wxpython.org/MigrationGuide.html

The new wxPython API reference documentation, including all
Python-specific additions and customizations, and docs for the wx.lib
package, is located at: https://docs.wxpython.org/

http://wxPython.org

wxPython 4.0.0a3 build err

firefox

would not build here. Has anyone been successful at building?

must a great soft to run with Boa Constructor 0.7 !

Checking for '/P/zus/wxPython-4.0.0a3/build/wxbld/wx-config'
                         : yes
'configure' finished successfully (0.856s)

[623/851] cxx: sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp ->
build/waf/2.7/sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp.17.o

../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:386:4: error: ‘wxWebView’ in
namespace ‘::’ does not name a type
   ::wxWebView* sipVH__html2_21(sip_gilstate_t sipGILState,
sipVirtErrorHandlerFunc sipErrorHandler, sipSimpleWrapper *sipPySelf,
PyObject *sipMethod,  ::wxWindow*parent, ::wxWindowID id,const
::wxString& url,const  ::wxPoint& pos,const  ::wxSize& size,long
style,const  ::wxString& name)
     ^~~~~~~~~
../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:396:4: error: ‘wxWebView’ in
namespace ‘::’ does not name a type
   ::wxWebView* sipVH__html2_20(sip_gilstate_t sipGILState,
sipVirtErrorHandlerFunc sipErrorHandler, sipSimpleWrapper *sipPySelf,
PyObject *sipMethod)
     ^~~~~~~~~

Re: wxPython 4.0.0a3 build err

Scott Talbert
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017, [hidden email] wrote:

> Checking for '/P/zus/wxPython-4.0.0a3/build/wxbld/wx-config'
> : yes
> 'configure' finished successfully (0.856s)
>
> [623/851] cxx: sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp ->
> build/waf/2.7/sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp.17.o
> ../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:386:4: error: ‘wxWebView’ in namespace
> ‘::’ does not name a type
>  ::wxWebView* sipVH__html2_21(sip_gilstate_t sipGILState,
> sipVirtErrorHandlerFunc sipErrorHandler, sipSimpleWrapper *sipPySelf,
> PyObject *sipMethod,  ::wxWindow*parent, ::wxWindowID id,const ::wxString&
> url,const  ::wxPoint& pos,const  ::wxSize& size,long style,const  ::wxString&
> name)
>    ^~~~~~~~~
> ../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:396:4: error: ‘wxWebView’ in namespace
> ‘::’ does not name a type
>  ::wxWebView* sipVH__html2_20(sip_gilstate_t sipGILState,
> sipVirtErrorHandlerFunc sipErrorHandler, sipSimpleWrapper *sipPySelf,
> PyObject *sipMethod)
>    ^~~~~~~~~
It looks like you were probably missing the webkit development package
when wxWidgets was built.  Unfortunately, wxPython 4 isn't very
configurable when it comes to missing dependencies of wxWidgets.  So, for
now I think installing the webkit development package on your distribution
should resolve the problem.  You'll have to rebuild the whole thing again
probably.

Scott

Re: wxPython 4.0.0a3 build err

[hidden email] wrote:

> would not build here. Has anyone been successful at building?
>
> must a great soft to run with Boa Constructor 0.7 !
>

> Checking for '/P/zus/wxPython-4.0.0a3/build/wxbld/wx-config'
>                         : yes
> 'configure' finished successfully (0.856s)
>
> [623/851] cxx: sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp ->
> build/waf/2.7/sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp.17.o
> ../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:386:4: error: ‘wxWebView’ in
> namespace ‘::’ does not name a type
>   ::wxWebView* sipVH__html2_21(sip_gilstate_t sipGILState,
> sipVirtErrorHandlerFunc sipErrorHandler, sipSimpleWrapper *sipPySelf,
> PyObject *sipMethod,  ::wxWindow*parent, ::wxWindowID id,const
> ::wxString& url,const  ::wxPoint& pos,const  ::wxSize& size,long
> style,const  ::wxString& name)
>     ^~~~~~~~~
> ../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:396:4: error: ‘wxWebView’ in
> namespace ‘::’ does not name a type
>   ::wxWebView* sipVH__html2_20(sip_gilstate_t sipGILState,
> sipVirtErrorHandlerFunc sipErrorHandler, sipSimpleWrapper *sipPySelf,
> PyObject *sipMethod)
>     ^~~~~~~~~

You probably don't have the lib and development packages for webkitgtk
or webkitgtk3 installed.  If those packages are not installed then the
wxWidgets part of the build is disabling the C++ classes for it, but
wxPython currently is not able to deal with missing features. (It's on
the TODO list however, just needs some time to implement a good workaround.)

http://wxPython.org

4.0.0a3 builds & runs

firefox

>> [623/851] cxx: sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp ->
>> build/waf/2.7/sip/cpp/sip_html2wxWebView.cpp.17.o
>> ../../../sip/cpp/sip_html2cmodule.cpp:386:4:

error: ‘wxWebView’ in namespace ‘::’ does not name a type

> You probably don't have the lib and development packages for webkitgtk
> or webkitgtk3 installed.  If those packages are not installed then the
> wxWidgets part of the build is disabling the C++ classes for it, but
> wxPython currently is not able to deal with missing features. (It's on
> the TODO list however, just needs some time to implement a good workaround.)

Indeed ! Thanks, now it works. Installed wxwidgets from sources + wxpython

Boa Constructor is mostly fine with it !

Re: 4.0.0a3 builds & runs mostly

firefox
> Installed wxwidgets from sources + wxpython
>

> Boa Constructor is mostly fine with it !

but the "guide" example which is mentioned here:
https://wiki.wxpython.org/Boa%20Constructor
now breaks. some other example-demos do still work though.
well, well.

Re: wxPython 4.0.0a3

Florian Höch
Am 05.06.2017 um 05:17 schrieb Robin Dunn:
> Fixed a few cases where the GIL was not acquired before building
> tuples of values. The problems associated with this (hangs or crashes)
> were sporadic and seemingly random, and did not appear until there was
> a background thread that was very busy. Running under a debug build of
> Python revealed the problem almost immediately. Yay Python!

Good stuff, this sounds related to a problem I was having and was
basically the only thing that kept me from switching to Phoenix entirely.

It's great to see the Phoenix rising :-)

Florian.