wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

Louis Barman
Hi All,

I have been struggling to get easyABC (a music programme) working using the latest Ubuntu 16.4 LTS. I thought this will be easy I just need to install wxPython using apt-get but I then discovered that it is missing the wx.media functions. So I then tried to compile wxPython from source and after lots of struggles I eventuality got the source to compile only to discover only to discover why the media stuff has been taken out of the Ubuntu repositories,it does not work even if you install every single gstreamer0.10 plugging out there.

So my question is, is there any work in progress wxPython 3.1.0 out there that is based on the wxWigets 3.1.0 that has been updated to use gstreamer1.0?

If not how easy would it be to back-port just the media stuff into my copy of your source code which is the next thing I am considering.

Any help or hints and tips with this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Louis

Re: wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

Scott Talbert

On October 6, 2016 3:14:13 AM EDT, Louis Barman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have been struggling to get easyABC (a music programme) working using
>the latest Ubuntu 16.4 LTS. I thought this will be easy I just need to
>install wxPython using apt-get but I then discovered that it is missing
>the wx.media functions. So I then tried to compile wxPython from source
>and after lots of struggles I eventuality got the source to compile
>only to discover only to discover why the media stuff has been taken
>out of the Ubuntu repositories,it does not work even if you install
>every single gstreamer0.10 plugging out there.
>
>So my question is, is there any work in progress wxPython 3.1.0 out
>there that is based on the wxWigets 3.1.0 that has been updated to use
>gstreamer1.0?
>
>If not how easy would it be to back-port just the media stuff into my
>copy of your source code which is the next thing I am considering.
>
>Any help or hints and tips with this would greatly be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Louis

Have you tried the python-wxgtk-media3.0 Ubuntu package?

Re: wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

Louis Barman
That did not show up when I searched for wxPython but unfortunately that does not work either as python-wxgtk-media3.0 depends on the libwsgtk-media3.0-0v5.

I have just compiled the wxWidgets-3.0.2 mediaplayer sample and that suffers from the same problem, please see the attached screen shot. However the wxWidgets-3.1.0 mediaplayer sample works fine plays mp3 and MIDI files correctly. Is there a python-wxgtk-media3.1 based on wxWidgets-3.1.0 anywhere?  If not how easy would it be to back port those changes in to python-wxgtk-media3.0 ?

Thanks.

Louis

On October 6, 2016 3:14:13 AM EDT, Louis Barman <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Y9XDAZQHAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">louis...@...> wrote:

wxWidgets-3.0.2-samples-mediaplayer.png (97K) Download Attachment

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Louis Barman wrote:

> That did not show up when I searched for wxPython but unfortunately that
> does not work either as python-wxgtk-media3.0 depends on the
> libwsgtk-media3.0-0v5.
>
> I have just compiled the wxWidgets-3.0.2 mediaplayer sample and that suffers
> from the same problem, please see the attached screen shot. However the
> wxWidgets-3.1.0 mediaplayer sample works fine plays mp3 and MIDI files
> correctly. Is there a python-wxgtk-media3.1 based on wxWidgets-3.1.0
> anywhere?  If not how easy would it be to back port those changes in to
> python-wxgtk-media3.0 ?
Yes, the wx.media module is package separately because it has a lot of
dependencies.

I'll look into this later and see if I can reproduce the same issue.

Re: wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

Louis Barman
The root of the problem is that libwsgtk-media3.0-0v5 depends on wxWidgets-3.0.2 which depends on gstreamer0.10 which does not work on Ubuntu 16.4 LTS.

However wxWidgets-3.1.0 adds support for  gstreamer 1.0 in wxMediaCtrl which would fix the problem.

Is there a wxPython biased on wxWidgets-3.1.0 anywhere ?

On 6 October 2016 at 21:02, Scott Talbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Louis Barman wrote:

That did not show up when I searched for wxPython but unfortunately that
does not work either as python-wxgtk-media3.0 depends on the
libwsgtk-media3.0-0v5.

I have just compiled the wxWidgets-3.0.2 mediaplayer sample and that suffers
from the same problem, please see the attached screen shot. However the
wxWidgets-3.1.0 mediaplayer sample works fine plays mp3 and MIDI files
correctly. Is there a python-wxgtk-media3.1 based on wxWidgets-3.1.0
anywhere?  If not how easy would it be to back port those changes in to
python-wxgtk-media3.0 ?

Yes, the wx.media module is package separately because it has a lot of dependencies.

I'll look into this later and see if I can reproduce the same issue.

Re: wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

Scott Talbert
The Debian/Ubuntu package is supposed to have a patch which adds gstreamer 1.0 support. In fact, this page seems to indicate that the libwxgtk-media3.0-0v5 package depends on gstreamer 1.0 and not 0.10:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libwxgtk-media3.0-0v5

I don't have a 16.04 machine handy at the moment to check for sure.

On October 6, 2016 5:25:57 PM EDT, Louis Barman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Scott Talbert-2
OK, so I tried the MediaCtrl.py demo on Ubuntu 16.04 using the official
packages (which are confirmed to be using GStreamer 1.0) and it works fine
for me, so I would make sure you're really using the official packages and
not the ones you built.

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Scott Talbert wrote:

> The Debian/Ubuntu package is supposed to have a patch which adds gstreamer
> 1.0 support. In fact, this page seems to indicate that the
> libwxgtk-media3.0-0v5 package depends on gstreamer 1.0 and not 0.10:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libwxgtk-media3.0-0v5
>
> I don't have a 16.04 machine handy at the moment to check for sure.
>
> On October 6, 2016 5:25:57 PM EDT, Louis Barman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>       The root of the problem is that libwsgtk-media3.0-0v5 depends on
>       wxWidgets-3.0.2 which depends on gstreamer0.10 which does not
>       work on Ubuntu 16.4 LTS.
>
> However wxWidgets-3.1.0 adds support for  gstreamer 1.0 in wxMediaCtrl
> which would fix the problem.
>
> Is there a wxPython biased on wxWidgets-3.1.0 anywhere ?
>
> On 6 October 2016 at 21:02, Scott Talbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Louis Barman wrote:
>
>             That did not show up when I searched for
>             wxPython but unfortunately that
>             does not work either as python-wxgtk-media3.0
>             depends on the
>             libwsgtk-media3.0-0v5.
>
>             I have just compiled the wxWidgets-3.0.2
>             mediaplayer sample and that suffers
>             from the same problem, please see the attached
>             screen shot. However the
>             wxWidgets-3.1.0 mediaplayer sample works fine
>             plays mp3 and MIDI files
>             correctly. Is there a python-wxgtk-media3.1
>             based on wxWidgets-3.1.0
>             anywhere?  If not how easy would it be to back
>             port those changes in to
>             python-wxgtk-media3.0 ?
>

>       Yes, the wx.media module is package separately because it
>       has a lot of dependencies.
>
>       I'll look into this later and see if I can reproduce the
>       same issue.

Re: wxPython 3.1.0? and get media working on linux

Louis Barman
Ok, thank you  very much for your help, it is as you describe and is mostly working now but there is a bug in easy_abc.py which threw me when I tested it because it looked like the original problem. Also I tried running the MediaCtrl only through the demo.py which core dumps if you run it that way.

Thanks again for your help it really is appreciated.

Louis