Quantcast

wxPython 2.9.5.0 on Mac OS X 10.8

Melton Low
Hi Robin,

I downloaded your latest development build for Mac.  The cocoa version for Python 2.7.  The dmg file opened fine.  However, when I click on the package to run the installer I get a message that the package is corrupted - see attachment.

My environment:

Mac OS X 10.8.4
Python 2.7.5 64bit version from python.org

Mel

wxPython pkg error.pdf (50K) Download Attachment

Devl wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>
> I downloaded your latest development build for Mac. The cocoa version
> for Python 2.7. The dmg file opened fine. However, when I click on the
> package to run the installer I get a message that the package is
> corrupted - see attachment.
>
> My environment:
>
> Mac OS X 10.8.4
> Python 2.7.5 64bit version from python.org <http://python.org>

It's working here with a freshly downloaded copy of the .dmg.  Please
redownload it and try again.  Also ensure that you have "Allow
applications downloaded from:" set to Anywhere in the Security system
preferences.

http://wxPython.org

Re: wxPython 2.9.5.0 on Mac OS X 10.8

jamesw
Hi,

Devl wrote:

I downloaded your latest development build for Mac. The cocoa version
for Python 2.7. The dmg file opened fine. However, when I click on the
package to run the installer I get a message that the package is
corrupted - see attachment.

I think the exact text is "damaged", rather than "corrupted".  I see the same thing on my OS X 10.8 machine.

This message is coming from GateKeeper (OS X 10.8's security watchdog).  This message usually means that the package has been digitally signed, but then the package was modified after it was signed, invalidating the signature.

But in this case, GateKeeper is unable to look up the package's CFBundleIdentifier in:

wxPython2.9-osx-cocoa-py2.7.pkg/Contents/Info.plist

because this file (which GateKeeper expects to find) is missing from the PKG.

The digital signature which GateKeeper is looking for is associated with the package's CFBundleIdentifier, but without an Info.plist, GateKeeper can't find the package's CFBundleIdentifier.

The workaround suggested by Robin (using "Allow applications downloaded from Anywhere") works for me.  After you have opened the PKG, you can change your Security setting back to the default if you wish.

Running the following tells me that the PKG is invalid (by OS X 10.8's standards):

$ spctl --assess --type=execute --verbose=4 /Volumes/wxPython2.9-osx-2.9.5.0-cocoa-py2.7/wxPython2.9-osx-cocoa-py2.7.pkg
/Volumes/wxPython2.9-osx-2.9.5.0-cocoa-py2.7/wxPython2.9-osx-cocoa-py2.7.pkg: bundle format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable

If I run the same command on a valid PKG, (which is not digitally signed), I see:

$ spctl --assess --type=execute --verbose=4  /Volumes/Python\ 2.7.5/Python.mpkg
/Volumes/Python 2.7.5/Python.mpkg: rejected
source=no usable signature

Cheers,
James