wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

moonkid
I don't know how old or correct this wiki-article is about
<http://wiki.wxpython.org/WxLibPubSub>

I am using Python3.4 with a current (from snapshot) build wxPhoenix.

It sounds like that PyPubSub and wx.lib.pubsub are the same?
What of them should I use?

Because of less dependencies I would prefer to use the stand alone
version PyPubSub. But is something against that? Would I miss nice
things from the wx-version?

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

oliver-56

They are the same code exactly, but the version in wx is updated to the latest svn only once in a while.

On 2015-02-19 01:35 oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> They are the same code exactly, but the version in wx is updated to
> the latest svn only once in a while.

Why this redundance?

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

oliver-56

There is no redundancy. Pypubsub is independent of wxPython so it is its own project, but for convenience it is included in wxPython because publish-subscribe is an important mechanism to make available out-of-the-box in wxPython-based applications.

On 2015-02-19 01:35 oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> They are the same code exactly, but the version in wx is updated to
> the latest svn only once in a while.

Why this redundance?

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

Rufus V. Smith
I believe it began life as part of wxPython, but found to be so Mind Bogglingly Useful that
it was spun out as a full Py* module, independent of wx.

http://wiki.wxpython.org/WxLibPubSub

But you don't want to break thousands of wxPython programs that use the original, by removing
it.

As the above page explains, there are some differences.

On 2015-02-19 01:35 oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> They are the same code exactly, but the version in wx is updated to
> the latest svn only once in a while.

Why this redundance?

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

Rufus V. Smith

Actually a better history can be found here:

http://pubsub.sourceforge.net/about.html#history

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

Dev Player
My kind-of-recent-last-attempt to "pip install pypubsub" for python 3.4 failed. So I'm using wx.lib.pubsub. NOTE that there is a pubsub package in PyPi but it is not the pubsub we know and love from wxPython (nor is the unrealted version complete or working).

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Rufus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually a better history can be found here:

http://pubsub.sourceforge.net/about.html#history

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

Leockard
Also, the homepage http://pubsub.sourceforge.net/ is giving me 404. Anyone else?

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Rufus <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="hAZCzNrV7PEJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">rufus...@...> wrote:

Actually a better history can be found here:

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

Michael Moriarity
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Leockard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, the homepage http://pubsub.sourceforge.net/ is giving me 404. Anyone else?

Clicking on your link worked for me.

--
Best Regards,
Michael Moriarity

Re: wx.lib.pubsub or PyPubSub?

oliver-56
have you tried --allow-external?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Dev Player <[hidden email]> wrote:
My kind-of-recent-last-attempt to "pip install pypubsub" for python 3.4 failed. So I'm using wx.lib.pubsub. NOTE that there is a pubsub package in PyPi but it is not the pubsub we know and love from wxPython (nor is the unrealted version complete or working).

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Rufus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually a better history can be found here:

http://pubsub.sourceforge.net/about.html#history

Oliver
Author of these Open Source: PyPubSub, Lua-iCxx, iof
Regular contributor on StackOverflow