wx.MessageBox Strange Behaviour

Chris Norman
Hi All,
Coding an application on OS X, and trying to use wx.MessageBox to provide a simple yes / no prompt. Only thing is, it always returns 16 (which is wx.CANCEL). I define the message box like this:

dlg = wx.MessageBox('Are you sure you want to delete %s - %s from this playlist?' % (track.get('track', {}).get('artist', 'Unknown Artist'), track.get('track', {}).get('title', 'Unknown Track')), 'Really delete', style = wx.YES_NO)

I tried using wx.MessageDialog as well, but ShowModal always returned 0 for some reason.

I’m using wx.SingleSeleccDialog a lot elsewhere in the application, and that’s working fine. Any reason this is screwing up?

Cheers in advance.

Take care,
Chris Norman

Re: wx.MessageBox Strange Behaviour

Chris Norman
Sorry yes, should have included that:

Python 2.7.9 (default, May  7 2015, 14:42:41)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.49)] on darwin

Wx 3.0.2.0 osx-cocoa (classic)

Take care,
Chris Norman

On 15 May 2015, at 21:28, David Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OS X 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
Python 2.7.9, 32-bit
wxPython 3.0.2.0 osx-carbon (classic)

>>> import wx
>>> app = wx.App()
>>> print wx.ID_YES, wx.ID_NO
5103 5104
>>> dlg = wx.MessageDialog(None, 'Message', 'Caption', wx.YES_NO)
>>> print dlg.ShowModal()     # pressed Yes
5103
>>> print dlg.ShowModal()     # pressed No
5104
>>> print wx.YES, wx.NO
2 8
>>> print wx.MessageBox('Message', 'Caption', style=wx.YES_NO)     # pressed Yes
2
>>> print wx.MessageBox('Message', 'Caption', style=wx.YES_NO)     # pressed No
8

So wx.MessageDialog returns wx.ID_YES or wx.ID_NO, while wx.MessageBox returns wx.Yes or wx.No.

That's what I get anyway.

David

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Chris Norman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That’s what I get too, when I’m running it from the console. Just not from within the app.

Is there any way the behaviours could change like that?

Cheers,

Take care,
Chris Norman

On 16 May 2015, at 02:38, David Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The behavior could change if you did something to change it.

Can you create a simple app that demonstrates the problem?  I would need to be able to recreate the problem, or at least see a lot more of your code,  to explore this further.

David

On May 15, 2015 8:55 PM, "Chris Norman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry, that was the stupidest email of my entire life…

Seems I’d not swung the particular function that called the MessageBox over to sensible coding, so it was in another thread, and not using wx.CallAfter. For the record, seems this behaviour causes wx.MessageBox to return 16 (wx.CALCEL), and wx.MessageDialog to return 0.

Cheers, and sorry for wasting time! :-(

Take care,
Chris Norman

On 16 May 2015, at 03:04, David Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mike Stover
Hey Chris,

I'm sure most of the other users in this group will agree. As long as we all learn from something time was not wasted. In fact, I stumbled across this thread while experiencing a similar issue. Turns out I had forgotten to use wx.CallAfter as well. So thank you for posting the question!

Thanks,
- Mike S.