wx.ITEM_NORMAL means ...?

Rich Shepard
   Next parameter needing clarification: wx.ITEM_NORMAL.

   I read the wx.MenuItem API and did not see an explanation for this
parameter. If there are non-normal items, what are they?

Seeking knowledge,

Rich

Re: wx.ITEM_NORMAL means ...?

Scott Talbert
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Next parameter needing clarification: wx.ITEM_NORMAL.
>
>  I read the wx.MenuItem API and did not see an explanation for this
> parameter. If there are non-normal items, what are they?

https://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/wx.ItemKind.enumeration.html

Re: wx.ITEM_NORMAL means ...? [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Scott Talbert wrote:

> https://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/wx.ItemKind.enumeration.html

   Thanks, Scott. I didn't see an explanation on the wx.MenuItem page and
didn't know there is a wx.ItemKind. Yet, seems to me that this is rather
redundant since the kind could be implied from the control.

Much appreciated,

Rich

Re: wx.ITEM_NORMAL means ...? [RESOLVED]

Robin Dunn
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 5:51:43 PM UTC-7, Rich wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Scott Talbert wrote:

   Thanks, Scott. I didn't see an explanation on the wx.MenuItem page and
didn't know there is a wx.ItemKind.

It's there. In the Parameters section of the documentation for wx.MenuItem.__init__ there is a line for the kind parameter. The type of that parameter is inside the (), and it is a link to wx.ItemKind.

--
Robin

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, Scott Talbert wrote:
>
>> https://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/wx.ItemKind.enumeration.html
>
>   Thanks, Scott. I didn't see an explanation on the wx.MenuItem page and
> didn't know there is a wx.ItemKind. Yet, seems to me that this is rather
> redundant since the kind could be implied from the control.

No, it can't.  There is no "wx.MenuItemCheckbox" or "wx.MenuItemRadio"
control.  There's only wxMenuItem.  The only way to specify the kind is
to use this option.

BTW, this design is derived straight from the Windows API.  All menu
items are created identically; there's just a couple of style bits that
choose the look and feel.

BTW #2, wxFormBuilder is specifically entering default values here.  You
can delete the wxITEM_NORMAL and wxEmptyString parameters if they bother
you.

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, Tim Roberts wrote:

> No, it can't. There is no "wx.MenuItemCheckbox" or "wx.MenuItemRadio"
> control. There's only wxMenuItem. The only way to specify the kind is to
> use this option.

Tim,

   Okay. I don't recall seeing an application with check- or radio-boxes on
their menus so being able to specify that type of menu item didn't occur to
me.

> BTW #2, wxFormBuilder is specifically entering default values here. You
> can delete the wxITEM_NORMAL and wxEmptyString parameters if they bother
> you.

   They don't bother me, I had not before encountered them. Adding a status
bar help message is useful; I do not see the need for the wxItem_Normal
parameter in my application.

Thanks,

Rich