win32 on a 64-bit Windows?

Boštjan Mejak-4
Why does the Python command sys.platform on 64-bit Windows 10 Home, running 64-bit Python 3.4.3, return win32 and not win64?

I don't understand. Is that a bug in Python?

Re: win32 on a 64-bit Windows?

nepix32
-1 because this is a completely non-wxPython question

sysconfig.get_platform()

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 2:26:09 AM UTC+2, Boštjan Mejak wrote:
Why does the Python command sys.platform on 64-bit Windows 10 Home, running 64-bit Python 3.4.3, return win32 and not win64?

I don't understand. Is that a bug in Python?

Re: win32 on a 64-bit Windows?

Boštjan Mejak-4
nepix32, your sysonfig.get_platform() function works! Thanks.

Do you, since you're obviously in the know, have any idea why sys.platform doesn't provide the correct platform info?

Re: win32 on a 64-bit Windows?

Mark Lawrence-2

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 1:26:09 AM UTC+1, Boštjan Mejak wrote:
Why does the Python command sys.platform on 64-bit Windows 10 Home, running 64-bit Python 3.4.3, return win32 and not win64?

I don't understand. Is that a bug in Python?

No it is not a bug, the docs specifically state what sys.platform contains.  As this is not a wxpython issue I'll let you find them, and also hint strongly that you should look at the platform module.

Re: win32 on a 64-bit Windows?

Boštjan Mejak wrote:
Why does the Python command sys.platform on 64-bit Windows 10 Home, running 64-bit Python 3.4.3, return win32 and not win64?

I don't understand. Is that a bug in Python?

You see the same thing in Linux.  sys.platform returns the same value whether you are on a 32-bit Linux system or a 64-bit Linux system.  That's almost always what you want, because the APIs are identical.

If you need to know whether you are currently running in a 32-bit or a 64-bit process, there are better ways, like sys.maxsize or platform.machine().

Re: win32 on a 64-bit Windows?

Boštjan Mejak-4
Tim, thanks for the platform.machine() tip. It's even better than nepix32's sysconfig.get_platform().