using Wingware 101 IDE with wxpython

eightbits
Looking at Wingware 101 (no cost option) and looking for any users who have used this IDE (?).

Re: using Wingware 101 IDE with wxpython

GadgetSteve
On 06/07/14 22:24, eightbits wrote:
Looking at Wingware 101 (no cost option) and looking for any users who have
used this IDE (?).

I use the professional edition all the time and find it excellent - the 101 is the independent with quite a lot disabled.  If you are working exclusively on unpaid open source code or are going to be using it for a course then take a look at the criteria for a free pro licence.

Otherwise the prices are quite good and there is a 30 free trial of the professional edition that you can downgrade to 101 if you don't think it is worth the money.

Disclaimer: I don't work for WingWare in any capacity and have no financial interest in them, (other than having purchased my own licence of course).

Gadget/Steve

Re: using Wingware 101 IDE with wxpython

Rufus V. Smith

--
View this message in context: <a href="http://wxpython-users.1045709.n5.nabble.com/using-Wingware-101-IDE-with-wxpython-tp5721506.html" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwxpython-users.1045709.n5.nabble.com%2Fusing-Wingware-101-IDE-with-wxpython-tp5721506.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEzOvBDs-vl6OG885pDvYO7G65_0w';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwxpython-users.1045709.n5.nabble.com%2Fusing-Wingware-101-IDE-with-wxpython-tp5721506.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEzOvBDs-vl6OG885pDvYO7G65_0w';return true;">http://wxpython-users.1045709.n5.nabble.com/using-Wingware-101-IDE-with-wxpython-tp5721506.html
Sent from the wxPython-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

I purchased the pro edition and haven't regretted it.    I never used 101 so I don't know what I'd miss of the PRO capability, but I know I still
don't use a lot of what is in the pro edition w.r.t. project files, source management, etc...

Their's is about the most generous 30 day trial period I've ever seen:  They don't count it a day if you didn't use it that day.  Many of these
trials go by calendar day but Wingware goes by "days of actual use" which is awesome.  (often when I try something I'll try a couple hours,
but then not get back to it for weeks... often the trial period has expired without adequate trial).

They even have a 10-minute emergency license you can enable if your license has expired!  Ever seen anyone offer that before?

On the other hand, the py suite that is include has a lot of the component pieces you need, but not great documentation on putting it
all together into an IDE.   I think PyAlaMode was the multi-file editor module.

You can also try SPE which has some quirks, but which I used before WingIDE.   SPE even has wxGlade
incorporated in it, for one approach in a GUI builder.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/spe/

Re: using Wingware 101 IDE with wxpython

eightbits
That trial policy is pretty awesome. Glad you pointed out the details.
I will continue
to use the 101 edition until I get a little more comfortable with the
basics of the package. One thing I didn't see a way around is using
the debug mode in that it
drills down into the imports which at this point has no value to me.
Thanks for the headsup!
 You mentioned exglade, it seems like an easier way to do the GUI and
layout. Do you still use that? Thanks Rufus for your information.

--

"You're neither right nor wrong
because people agree with you.
and your reasoning are right."
Warren Buffett

Re: using Wingware 101 IDE with wxpython

eightbits
oops, fat fingered flip flop, I used exglad but wanted to use wxglade.