Quantcast

python.exe has stopped working

cenovo
hi all,
i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
python.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close this program and notify you if a solution is available.

my Env is:
vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 + wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26

and my script is also simple,
#coding = utf-8
import wx

class App(wx.App):
    def OnInit(self):
        self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
        self.frame.Show()
        return True

def main():
    app = App()
    app.MainLoop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Lauvey

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Rene Heymans
Hello Lauvey,

I can't answer you but I've just checked your code by copy/paste within IDLE and it works fine here. You get a nice little frame with Test as title and a grey background. You can move, size, close, ... No problem.

I'm on WinXP SP3, Python 2.5.2, wxPython 2.8.8.1 unicode.

Are your environment variables properly defined within Eclipse/PyDev ? e.g. working directory, ...

Regards, Rene

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM, cenovo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

thanks, Rene,

yes, my simple script works well in my virtual machine too. the system of VM is windowXP sp2. but error in vista and windows2003, when my frame is shown, then the error shown immediately. so i doubt whether it has something with the system? are there anybody using vista or 2003? will it be the reason of system secure policy?
need more help, thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Lauvey

RE: python.exe has stopped working

cenovo
hi raffaello, thanks for your response, but downgrading to windows XP is not a real solution, right?
i searched by Google, and found the same question by another guy, the link is http://www.nabble.com/Memory-Error:-py2.6,-wxpy2.8.9.1,-win2k3-td20099972.html

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:37:24 +0100
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

[...]

Add maps and directions to your party Show them the way!

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Ranec
I have replicated this on my Vista SP1 machine.

What's the bug tracking process for wxPython?

-R

2009/1/9 cenovo <[hidden email]>
hi raffaello, thanks for your response, but downgrading to windows XP is not a real solution, right?
i searched by Google, and found the same question by another guy, the link is http://www.nabble.com/Memory-Error:-py2.6,-wxpy2.8.9.1,-win2k3-td20099972.html

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Andrea Gavana
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Craig Emery wrote:
> I have replicated this on my Vista SP1 machine.
> What's the bug tracking process for wxPython?

You should visit the wxWidgets/wxPython Trac here:

http://trac.wxwidgets.org/

And you may read on how to submit bugs/patches here:

http://trac.wxwidgets.org/wiki/HowToSubmitTicket

Basically it's just a registration process (if you're not already
registered), the description of the problem, OS platform and wxPython
version, and a sample app that demonstrate the problem. The more
detail you give, the easier is for maintainers to understand and solve
the bug you submit.

Andrea.

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/

RE: python.exe has stopped working

cenovo
i reported this issue and the ticket number is #10353.

Best Regards,
Lauvey

> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:58:22 +0000
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [wxpython-users] python.exe has stopped working
>
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Craig Emery wrote:
> > I have replicated this on my Vista SP1 machine.
> > What's the bug tracking process for wxPython?
>
> You should visit the wxWidgets/wxPython Trac here:
>
> http://trac.wxwidgets.org/
>
> And you may read on how to submit bugs/patches here:
>
> http://trac.wxwidgets.org/wiki/HowToSubmitTicket
>
> Basically it's just a registration process (if you're not already
> registered), the description of the problem, OS platform and wxPython
> version, and a sample app that demonstrate the problem. The more
> detail you give, the easier is for maintainers to understand and solve
> the bug you submit.
>
> Andrea.
>
> "Imagination Is The Only Weapon In The War Against Reality."
> http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Mike Driscoll-2
cenovo wrote:

> hi all,
> i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
> python.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close this program and notify you if a solution is available.
>
> my Env is:
> vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
> eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 +
> wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26
>
> and my script is also simple,
> #coding = utf-8
> import wx
>
> class App(wx.App):
> def OnInit(self):
> self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
> self.frame.Show()
> return True
>
> def main():
> app = App()
> app.MainLoop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> main()
>
> who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.
>

> Best Regards,
> Lauvey

Have you tried with Python 2.5? I haven't had any problems using 2.5 on
Windows Vista, but I've seen lots of goofy stuff about Python 2.6 and
Vista on the comp.lang.python list.

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Werner F. Bruhin

cenovo wrote:

> hi all,
> i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
> python.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close this program and notify you if a solution is available.
>
> my Env is:
> vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
> eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 +
> wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26
>
> and my script is also simple,
> #coding = utf-8
> import wx
>
> class App(wx.App):
> def OnInit(self):
> self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
> self.frame.Show()
> return True
>
> def main():
> app = App()
> app.MainLoop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> main()
>
> who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.
This works perfectly fine for me, on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32bit) and:
# Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)]
# wxPython 2.8.9.1, Boa Constructor 0.6.1
# Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

Maybe an issue Eclipse or pydev or py2.6?

Werner

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Ranec
Agreed Work on Vista:
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
>>> import wx
>>> class App(wx.App):
...     def OnInit(self):
...         self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
...         self.frame.Show()
...         return True
>>> App().MainLoop()
>>> print wx.__version__
2.8.9.1

-R

2009/1/9 Werner F. Bruhin <[hidden email]>
Hi,

cenovo wrote:
> hi all,
> i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
> python.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close this program and notify you if a solution is available.
>
> my Env is:
> vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
> eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 +
> wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26
>
> and my script is also simple,
> #coding = utf-8
> import wx
>
> class App(wx.App):
> def OnInit(self):
> self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
> self.frame.Show()
> return True
>
> def main():
> app = App()
> app.MainLoop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> main()
>
> who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.
This works perfectly fine for me, on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32bit) and:
# Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)]
# wxPython 2.8.9.1, Boa Constructor 0.6.1
# Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

Maybe an issue Eclipse or pydev or py2.6?

Werner

Re: python.exe has stopped working

bskaplan

cenovo wrote:
> hi all,
> i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
> python.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close this program and notify you if a solution is available.
>
> my Env is:
> vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
> eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 +
> wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26
>
> and my script is also simple,
> #coding = utf-8
> import wx
>
> class App(wx.App):
> def OnInit(self):
> self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
> self.frame.Show()
> return True
>
> def main():
> app = App()
> app.MainLoop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> main()
>
> who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.
This works perfectly fine for me, on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32bit) and:
# Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)]
# wxPython 2.8.9.1, Boa Constructor 0.6.1
# Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

Maybe an issue Eclipse or pydev or py2.6?

If it is an issue with that, it's a Vista/Win2k3 specific issue. The code ran fine on Mac OS X 10.5.6, eclipse/pydev/python.

RE: python.exe has stopped working

cenovo
yes, it works well after downgrading to python2.5.4 and wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py25 on my vista system.
but why can't python2.6.1 and wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26?
eclipse and pydev are not the key, because this time i only write and run scripts in command line.

Lauvey

cenovo wrote:
> hi all,
> i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
> python.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close this program and notify you if a solution is available.
>
> my Env is:
> vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
> eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 +
> wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26
>
> and my script is also simple,
> #coding = utf-8
> import wx
>
> class App(wx.App):
> def OnInit(self):
> self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
> self.frame.Show()
> return True
>
> def main():
> app = App()
> app.MainLoop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> main()
>
> who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.
This works perfectly fine for me, on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32bit) and:
# Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)]
# wxPython 2.8.9.1, Boa Constructor 0.6.1
# Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

Maybe an issue Eclipse or pydev or py2.6?

If it is an issue with that, it's a Vista/Win2k3 specific issue. The code ran fine on Mac OS X 10.5.6, eclipse/pydev/python.

Re: python.exe has stopped working

Cody Precord
Hello,

IIRC this is caused by some library conflicts from python2.6 using MSVC 9 and the assemblies that are installed by wxPython which are from an earlier version, also think I remember seeing that Robin has fixed this in the svn already.

Cody

cenovo wrote:
> hi all,
> i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
> python.exe has stopped working
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> close this program and notify you if a solution is available.
>
> my Env is:
> vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
> eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 +
> wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26
>
> and my script is also simple,
> #coding = utf-8
> import wx
>
> class App(wx.App):
> def OnInit(self):
> self.frame = wx.Frame(parent = None, title='test')
> self.frame.Show()
> return True
>
> def main():
> app = App()
> app.MainLoop()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> main()
>
> who can tell me how to solve this problem? any help will be appreciated.
This works perfectly fine for me, on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32bit) and:
# Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)]
# wxPython 2.8.9.1, Boa Constructor 0.6.1
# Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

Maybe an issue Eclipse or pydev or py2.6?

If it is an issue with that, it's a Vista/Win2k3 specific issue. The code ran fine on Mac OS X 10.5.6, eclipse/pydev/python.

Re: python.exe has stopped working

jmfauth

2009/1/9 cenovo <[hidden email]>
hi all,
i encounter with an error that shows as follows:
python.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close this program and notify you if a solution is available.

my Env is:
vista sp1(windows 2003 sp2 also the same)
eclipse3.4.1 + pydev1.4.0 + python2.6 + wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.9.1-py26

Well, I'm not so sure about this, but from what I read.

It seems to me, this is a typical Python 2.6 problem on win platforms. Python 2.6
(and 3.0) is now built with VS9 and requires all this SxS (Side by Side) dll
assembly stuff and correct manifest files.

If one uses a wrong and/or incorrect manifest file, a manifest file not very well
placed in the dir structure (..\Python26 or C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS), a third party
dll which includes its own manifest (unfortunally incompatible) file, the Python
executable is a little bit lost and can just refuse to start or to work properly.

I had to face this when I (too quickly and naively) attempted to build
applications with py2exe after the 2.6 release.

I do not claim, what I wrote is absolutely correct, however I should not be too
far from the reality.

See also the py2exe, numpy and of course Python mailing lists.

Jean-Michel Fauth, Switzerland