not entirely sure what I want here...

Nathan Smith
Hi guys

  am building a calendar program that is aimed at visually impaired people.

One feature that a lot of vision impaired users use is the ability to
press the tab key to navigate between items, allow me to give an example:

In my app, I have year, month, day, day of the week, events, and some
buttons.

A sighted user might click into the month list, and then scroll using
the mouse.

A blind person will tab until they hear "month list: January selected"
and then use their arrow keys to move through the list.

The problem I have encountered thus:

I want day of the week to be an unchangeable piece of text. After all,
the 2nd of November is a Friday and their aint nothin' you can do about
that, buddy!

The problem is, if I make wx.TextCtrl read only, the tab key skips right
over it.

Similarly, if I just use a wx.staticText, it skips over it again.

I wondered if you guys had any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

RE: not entirely sure what I want here...

GadgetSteve
One possibility is to use an editable text field with a validator that always returns False, this will still be effectively a read only but will still be a tab stop.

Chris Norman

Not quite what you're after i know, but if you make the text control both read only and multi line tab doesn't skip over it.

Alternately, depending on how you're making the days, you could just label the buttons or whatever they are with the date and the name of the day.

Hth,