menu will not load on new wxpython

peter risley
Having a problem getting the menu to show up. the frame and window do but will not load the menu. working in Ubuntu 16.04 and python 3.5.2, Have wx 4.0.0b2 gtk3 (phoenix) loaded. Have gotten the framemenu.py from https://wiki.wxpython.org/Getting%20Started and other places. I thought that the code was written for the new phoenix but It will not load up the menu but does the frame and Window.
I have been looking for tutorials or code that works and have found none that do. I suspect that the new phoenix system has disrupted the menu code and I can not figure out how to fix it! I am going in circles and suspect the answer is not out there yet. Please help. I will add framemenu.py that does not work on my system. Perhaps it works on other systems? Or is the new  phoenix standard disrupting old code. Reminds me of the python switch from python2 to python3 which was a big disrupt-er.
I want this to work so is there a answer or is this new Phoenix going to destabilize wxpython and it would be better for me to go away until it re stabilizes?
Thanks for your attention to this issue.
Peter

framemenu.py (733 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: menu will not load on new wxpython

Igor Korot
Hi,
Did check the samples and demos?
You can get them from wxpython.org as well?

Also are you using Unity?

Thank you.

peter risley wrote:

> Having a problem getting the menu to show up. the frame and window do
> but will not load the menu. working in Ubuntu 16.04 and python 3.5.2,
> Have wx 4.0.0b2 gtk3 (phoenix) loaded. Have gotten the framemenu.py
> from https://wiki.wxpython.org/Getting%20Started and other places. I
> thought that the code was written for the new phoenix but It will not
> load up the menu but does the frame and Window.

By default, Ubuntu 16.04 uses the Unity desktop environment.  In Unity,
you don't get a menu on each window.  Instead, like MacOS, every
window's menu appears at the top of the screen when it has the focus.
The menus for non-focus windows are not available.

Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

> Please help. I will add framemenu.py that does not work on my system.
> Perhaps it works on other systems? Or is the new  phoenix standard
> disrupting old code. Reminds me of the python switch from python2 to
> python3 which was a big disrupt-er.

Phoenix is in excellent shape.  Please post the exact code you are
using, and some of will give it a shot.

Re: menu will not load on new wxpython

Adrian Hill
This is nothing related to any Phoenix issues. Your code runs fine on Windows 7, with Python 3.5 and wxPhoenix 4.0.
Tim is probably correct that it's a Ubuntu issue.
Many of us have made the switch to Phoenix, and is stable and functioning correctly.

Hope this helps.

Having a problem getting the menu to show up. the frame and window do but will not load the menu. working in Ubuntu 16.04 and python 3.5.2, Have wx 4.0.0b2 gtk3 (phoenix) loaded. Have gotten the framemenu.py from <a href="https://wiki.wxpython.org/Getting%20Started" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwiki.wxpython.org%2FGetting%2520Started\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHfFlhv33kAORgqMgblvBwBO3QQ0A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwiki.wxpython.org%2FGetting%2520Started\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHfFlhv33kAORgqMgblvBwBO3QQ0A&#39;;return true;">https://wiki.wxpython.org/Getting%20Started and other places. I thought that the code was written for the new phoenix but It will not load up the menu but does the frame and Window.