list control searching on Linux

Donn Ingle
Ok, I'm sure it's me, but I can't get any list controls to do that trick
where you type a letter and it jumps to that entry in the list. What's it
called? Type-ahead/searching? Something like that.

I have also tried the Object List Control (by Phillip Piper) and it does not
function there either. I am thinking this is a GTK thing.

I am testing on Kubuntu (7-something) and Ubuntu (8.04) both with wxpython
2.8.x.x installed.

Any ideas?

\d

Re: list control searching on Linux

Mike Driscoll-2
Donn,

> Ok, I'm sure it's me, but I can't get any list controls to do that trick
> where you type a letter and it jumps to that entry in the list. What's it
> called? Type-ahead/searching? Something like that.
>
> I have also tried the Object List Control (by Phillip Piper) and it does not
> function there either. I am thinking this is a GTK thing.
>
> I am testing on Kubuntu (7-something) and Ubuntu (8.04) both with wxpython
> 2.8.x.x installed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> \d

I found a ComboBox recipe for this sort of thing on the wiki. Maybe it
will help you figure it out:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/Combo%20Box%20that%20Suggests%20Options

Re: list control searching on Linux

Phillip Piper
Hmm. It (ObjectListView) should work when you type into the list.

But now that I look at it closely... in EVT_CHAR event handler, some data in the evt always seems to be 0. Specifically, GetUnicodeKey() and GetTimestamp() always return 0. I notice that the wxPython demo also doesn't work when typing into the list.

I'll fix ObjectListView to get around this problem, but I wonder why those fields are null.

Regards,
Phillip

2008/7/8 Mike Driscoll <[hidden email]>:
Donn,

Ok, I'm sure it's me, but I can't get any list controls to do that trick
where you type a letter and it jumps to that entry in the list. What's it
called? Type-ahead/searching? Something like that.

I have also tried the Object List Control (by Phillip Piper) and it does not
function there either. I am thinking this is a GTK thing.

I am testing on Kubuntu (7-something) and Ubuntu (8.04) both with wxpython
2.8.x.x installed.

Any ideas?

\d

I found a ComboBox recipe for this sort of thing on the wiki. Maybe it will help you figure it out:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/Combo%20Box%20that%20Suggests%20Options

-------------------
Mike Driscoll

Blog:   http://blog.pythonlibrary.org
Python Extension Building Network:     http://www.pythonlibrary.org

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> I found a ComboBox recipe for this sort of thing on the wiki. Maybe it
> will help you figure it out:
Thanks Mike. I had a look, but I fear life is too short for me to teach a
listctrl how to suck eggs :D I will await word from the experts.

Phillip Piper wrote:

> But now that I look at it closely...
Does it work on Windows? Perhaps it is just a gtk thing. (or a wxGtk thing.)

\d

RE: list control searching on Linux

Phillip Piper
Yes, it does work on Windows.

I've checked into the SVN changes that fixes the issues you've raised
(clipped checkboxes and non-searching when typing). It also fixes a few
other Linux specific ones.

Check them out if you're interested (I can email the new version to you if
you don't use SVN). Normal bleeding edge code warnings apply :)

Regards,
Phillip

Phillip Piper  www.bigfoot.com/~phillip_piper  [hidden email]
A man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions

Phillip Piper wrote:

> I've checked into the SVN changes that fixes the issues you've raised
> (clipped checkboxes and non-searching when typing). It also fixes a few
> other Linux specific ones.
Great!

> Check them out if you're interested (I can email the new version to you if
> you don't use SVN). Normal bleeding edge code warnings apply :)
I'll head on over to your SVN.

Many thanks.
\d