embedding a wxPython application in a web site?

embedding a wxPython application in a web site?

Ingrid
Hi everybody,

I was wondering...  There is a chapter in the wxPython book about incorporating HTML into your wxPython application - how about the reverse?  Is it possible (and if yes, how??) to embed a wxPython application in an (interactive) web site?

Thanks for any input you can give on this!

Cheers,
Ingrid

Re: embedding a wxPython application in a web site?

Rufus V. Smith
Are you really thinking about using wxPython for a web site, or just
drive a website with
Python programming?  If the latter, arguably the shortest and best path
to a python
programmed site is:

     www.web2py.com

It is AWESOME!

Otherwise, please explain what you expect from a wxPython driven website.

C M

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Ingrid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I was wondering...  There is a chapter in the wxPython book about incorporating HTML into your wxPython application - how about the reverse?  Is it possible (and if yes, how??) to embed a wxPython application in an (interactive) web site?

Thanks for any input you can give on this!

As I understand it, no, you can't do that. I guess there are ways to launch desktop programs from within your browser based on the site (through Flash or something), so if you would consider that "embedding" a wxPython app, then, in that sense, yes....but then again that would mean you could "embed" anything that runs on a computer in a browser. I don't think that is really a fair way of thinking of embedding.

Re: embedding a wxPython application in a web site?

Toni Ruža

On Friday, January 24, 2014 4:02:01 AM UTC+1, Ingrid wrote:
I was wondering...  There is a chapter in the wxPython book about incorporating HTML into your wxPython application - how about the reverse?  Is it possible (and if yes, how??) to embed a wxPython application in an (interactive) web site?

Using the GTK+3 Broadway backend might be possible in the not too distant future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8eo4RlPw4
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wxpython-users/ZceqDQwxcuA

--
Toni

Ingrid wrote:

> I was wondering...  There is a chapter in the wxPython book about
> incorporating HTML into your wxPython application - how about the
> reverse?  Is it possible (and if yes, how??) to embed a wxPython
> application in an (interactive) web site?

This has been discussed a number of times over the years, and I seem to
remember there was even a project started to do this, but it's really
hard to grasp how difficult of a problem that is.  You can model
well-behaved and predictably-structured programs pretty well, but darned
few programs are well-behaved and predictably-structured.

To get a really effective implementation, you would essentially have to
port the wxWidgets library into Javascript.  That's a hell of a task.
(Although I have to say that the Javascript PDF renderer we're all using
now is doing such a good job that it's challenging my idea of what's
possible.)

I understand that there is a subset of Dabo (which is a layer above
wxPython) that can be rendered over the web.

Re: embedding a wxPython application in a web site?

Ingrid
Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for your responses.  My question was basically driven by a (admittedly, very vague) vision of having written this nice GUI application and wondering if there was an easy way to just embed it into... something to display it on a web site.  I guess the short answer to that is NO(*), which is good to know, in any case.

(*) which is really not that surprising, now that I'm thinking about it a bit more...

Again, thank you for your input!  It has been really helpful to have this mailing list to turn to when things get stuck.

Ingrid

Tim Roberts, <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="_NUFaVK5E7IJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">ti...@...

C M

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:27 AM, Ingrid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for your responses.  My question was basically driven by a (admittedly, very vague) vision of having written this nice GUI application and wondering if there was an easy way to just embed it into... something to display it on a web site.  I guess the short answer to that is NO(*), which is good to know, in any case.

Thanks for asking about this, though, because if you hadn't I wouldn't have seen the video linked to by Toni, and I found that pretty amazing and really surprising.  I had just assumed there was no way to do that at all.