code editor controls

juanhernandez98

HI All,

I am new to this list, so here goes my first question.  Quick info about me, I am totally blind, I use a screen reader on various platforms, windows, mac or Linux to access the computer.  It reads all on the screen to me.

I am wanting to develop my own code editor.  There are many editors out there, but a majority of them are not accessible to the screen reader.

So, what would be a good text control to start with my editor? In WxPython?

Over time I will want to do code highlighting, auto completion, etc.… so what control would give me the best versatility to get these features developed over time?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Best,

Juan

Re: code editor controls

Mike Driscoll-2
Hi Juan,

You would probably want to use the StyledTextCtrl which you can find out more about here:

The wxPython toolkit includes an editor in its demo package called Editra that you can use for ideas.

There's also a simpler editor in the demo package to buy I can't remember what it's called.

Mike