Wxpython 2.8.12 installation

Ken Barron
Hi everyone I posted yesterday asking about my 4.0.2 installation but I'm starting to suspect that the documentation for the software I need symoro+ isn't up to date and that it might not have compatibility with newer versions of wxPython.

I'm now trying to install an older version 2.8.12 that I got the tar.gz off Sourceforge but I'm finding certain aspects of the installation documentation incomplete or difficult to understand,

For example the first instruction in Build.txt is to create a build directory in the wxWidgets directory but when I look in the download there is no wxWidgets directory.  There is a wxWidgets folder that contains another wxwidgets folder and another folder just called wx.  The screenshot whatDirectory.png is the first section of the installation instructions from Build.txt that I'm not getting, and wxPythonDir.png and wxPythonDownloadDir.png are screenshots of the directories and files there are in the actual download.

INSTALL.txt (7K) Download Attachment
BUILD.txt (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Wxpython 2.8.12 installation

Robin Dunn
On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 2:56:22 AM UTC-7, Ken Barron wrote:
[...]

It looks like symoro runs okay with wxPython 3.0, and that version is easier to build than 2.8.x was. You should also check your linux distro's package manager. It is likely that there is a 2.8 or 3.0 version available for installation there. You may need to hint around a little, sometimes they use unintuitive package names. Alternatively, an easy way to get wxPython 3 on Linux without building is to use a tool like conda or Enthought's edm. With those tools you can create a separate Python environment and install packages into it from their repositories. (I just used edm to test symoro with wxPython 3.)

While the application did start up and generally appeared to be working okay, I got OpenGL errors when trying to do the visualization, so it seems there are still other problems that will need to be resolved.

--
Robin

Re: Wxpython 2.8.12 installation

Scott Talbert
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, Robin Dunn wrote:

> On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 2:56:22 AM UTC-7, Ken Barron wrote:
>       Hi everyone I posted yesterday asking about my 4.0.2
>       installation but I'm starting to suspect that the documentation
>       for the software I need symoro+ isn't up to date and that it
>       might not have compatibility with newer versions of wxPython.
>
> I'm now trying to install an older version 2.8.12 that I got the
> tar.gz off Sourceforge but I'm finding certain aspects of the
> installation documentation incomplete or difficult to understand,
>
> For example the first instruction in Build.txt is to create a build
> directory in the wxWidgets directory but when I look in the download
> there is no wxWidgets directory.  There is a wxWidgets folder that
> contains another wxwidgets folder and another folder just called wx.
> The screenshot whatDirectory.png is the first section of the
> installation instructions from Build.txt that I'm not getting, and
> wxPythonDir.png and wxPythonDownloadDir.png are screenshots of the
> directories and files there are in the actual download.
>

> It looks like symoro runs okay with wxPython 3.0, and that version is easier
> to build than 2.8.x was. You should also check your linux distro's package
> manager. It is likely that there is a 2.8 or 3.0 version available for
> installation there. You may need to hint around a little, sometimes they use
> unintuitive package names. Alternatively, an easy way to get wxPython 3 on
> Linux without building is to use a tool like conda or Enthought's edm. With
> those tools you can create a separate Python environment and install
> packages into it from their repositories. (I just used edm to test symoro
> with wxPython 3.)
From his earlier screenshots, it looks like he's on Ubuntu.  If so, he
should just be able to 'apt-get install python-wxgtk3.0' and get wxPython
3.

Scott